Like "Hello, Eversinging, I've been diagnosed for two years now, T2, and am diet and exercise controlled. My internist that I was already seeing for high blood pressure is also monitoring my diabetes, and doing all the right things. If your doctor refers you to a CDE class, or appointment with a dietician, runs all the tests a diabetic needs - starting with regular A1Cs every three months until you are stable, lipid panels, etc. etc. and makes sure you are seeing an eye doctor and dentist, and looks at your feet and asks all the right questions, discussing exercise, then you are probably being taken care of okay. If you have any doubts, you should shop around. If my course with DM ever gets complicated, I would expect my internist to refer me to an endocrinologist. Good luck!"