Simply limit yourself to a small serving and this delicious no-compromises recipe can fit your diabetic meal plan.Ingredients
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup canola oil
1/3 cup low-fat (1%) buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup grated carrots (about 3 med)
1/2 cup well-drained crushed pineapple
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 cup neufchatel cheese, softened
1/4 cup yogurt cheese (or fat-free brick-style cream cheese)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9-inch tube or bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a shallow microwavable dish, spread the walnuts in a single layer and microwave on high, stirring every 30 seconds, until lightly toasted and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, and salt. Add the oil, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Stir in the reserved nuts, the carrots, and the pineapple.
- Spread evenly in the prepared pan and bake, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 35 - 40 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting, in a medium bowl, stir together the powdered sugar and neufchatel cheese until smooth.
- Gently stir in the yogurt cheese, just until blended (do not stir excessively; the frosting will thin). Spread on the cake and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Calories from Fat
- Saturated Fat
- Dietary Fiber