1 11-pound (5280 g) fresh kosher for Passover, turkey
grated zest of 1 whole lemon
grated zest of 1 whole navel orange
3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup (80 ml) fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
2 cloves garlic
freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C, Gas Mark 7).
2. Cut the lemon in half and rub the skin and inside of turkey with the cut side. Discard the lemon.
3. In a bowl, combine zests of lemon and orange, grated ginger, oil, lemon juice, orange juice, and brown sugar to form a basting sauce. Set aside 3 tablespoons to use in the asparagus recipe below.
4. Cut the lemon and orange in half and place 1/2 of each in the in the turkey cavity. Add the garlic and truss the turkey Place on a rack and roast uncovered for 30 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 325°F (160°C, Gas Mark 3).
5. Stir the remaining basting sauce and brush over the turkey. Tent the turkey with a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil and continue to roast for 2 hours, basting three more times. Uncover the turkey, baste again and continue to roast until an instant meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh registers 180°F (82.2°C). Continue to baste the turkey until all sauce has been used. Transfer to a carving platter and keep warm.
- Makes 8 servings
- • Calories 193 (28% from fat)
- • Protein 33 g
- • Fat 6 g
- • Carbohydrates 0 g
- • Fiber 0 g
- • Cholesterol 86 mg
- • Potassium 338 mg
- • Sodium 79 gm
- 4 lean protein