For the turkey chili:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds ground white-meat turkey
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
Two 4-ounce cans chopped mild chilies
One 15.5-ounce can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder, regular or Chipotle
1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
For the corn bread topping:
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup cake flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 bottle (8 ounces) Glucerna Homemade Vanilla Shake
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 cup egg substitute
1/4 cup chopped scallions
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Mist a 9-inch baking pan with non-sick vegetable oil cooking spray.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and cook the turkey until it is no longer pink. Remove the meat from the skillet and drain if necessary.
4. Heat the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of water, onions, peppers, and garlic, and cook until the vegetables are translucent.
5. Add the chilies, beans, cumin, oregano, chili powder and chicken stock. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Return the meat to the skillet, stir and bring the chili to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
7. Transfer the chili to the prepared baking pan.
For the cornbread topping:
1. Combine the cornmeal, flour, salt and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
2. In another bowl, whisk together the Glucerna shake, water, oil, and egg.
3. Combine wet ingredients and dry ingredients until just incorporated. Spread the batter evenly over the turkey chili and sprinkle with the chopped scallions.
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean, and the top is golden.
5. Let stand for 7 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size 8 (314g) servings Amount Per Serving %DV*
- Total Fat 14g 22%
- Saturated Fat 2.5g 12%
- Calories 390 Cholesterol 65mg 22%
- Calories from Fat 130 Sodium 520mg 22%
- Total Carbohydrate 40g 13%
- Dietary Fiber 3g 11%
- Sugars 2g
- Protein 23g
- CARB CHOICES
- 2 1/2 Carb Choices
- DIABETES EXCHANGES
- 2 1/2 starch
- 1 vegetable
- 2 lean meats
- 2 fats