vegetable cooking spray
2 whole bone-in chicken breasts, 2 pounds (960 g) total, skinned and cut into quarters
2 medium onions, 12 ounces (360 g) total, sliced
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 yellow or red bell pepper, 6 ounces (180 g) seeded and chopped
1 teaspoon (5 ml) turmeric
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground ginger
2 pounds (960 g) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
1 14 1/2-ounce (435 g) can no salt added diced tomatoes, drained
2 tablespoons (30 ml) golden raisins
2 cups (480 ml) fat-free low-sodium canned chicken broth
1. Lightly spray a covered nonstick pot with cooking spray. Add the chicken and brown over high heat for 2 minutes, turning chicken once. Lower the heat and transfer the chicken to a plate. Set aside.
2. Add all remaining ingredients to the pot except the reserved chicken pieces. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Return the chicken to the pot, cover, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is barely falling off the bones.
4. Divide the sweet potatoes and chicken between 4 shallow soup plates. Raise the heat under the pot and reduce the sauce for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour some of the mixture over each serving; serve at once.
- Per serving
- 429 calories (10% calories from fat)
- 39 g protein
- 5 g total fat (1.3 g saturated fat)
- 58 g carbohydrate
- 8 g dietary fiber
- 90 mg cholesterol
- 132 mg sodium
- 4 lean meat
- 3 carbohydrate (3 bread/starch)
- 3 vegetable