Should we find a new doctor? My fiance has type 2 diabetes. He and I both agree his current doctor is not listening. His blood sugar levels are out of control and his current doctor will not adjust his medication or recommend anything else. I fear he is or will have serious repercussions.

Patty Bonsignore


It’s important for your fiancé to let his physician know that he is concerned about his high blood glucose levels and that he wants his treatment plan reviewed. The doctor should be asked why he or she is hesitant to change his medication? The doctor may have reasons for this, or may not feel confident in what to do. Before switching doctors, he may want to find out if the doctor is willing to refer him to an endocrinologist and a diabetes educator. Endocrinologists specialize in diabetes and can work with the doctor to provide medication recommendations. Diabetes educators help people with lifestyle changes -- nutrition and physical activity -- and may also help determine what medication choices might best work with your fiance’s schedule. If he asks about these alternatives and still find that his doctor is not willing to have a conversation with him, then it may be time to look for a new physician.