I have to change doctors for insurance purposes and was wondering if it makes more sense to see a specialist rather then a family practice? Not sure who, but maybe an endocrinologist? I've had type 2 diabetes for about 15 years. I'm not doing very well with it now.

Dr. David Erani


The fact that you have diabetes does not mean that you need to see an endocrinologist. As Dr. Elliott Joslin pointed out around a hundred years ago, most people with diabetes get their medical care from primary care providers. This is still true. That said, if your diabetes is not well-controlled, you could benefit from seeing an endocrinologist. You would still need a primary care provider since endocrinologists focus on their specialty and do not provide primary care. You should also see a diabetes educator. A certified diabetes educator (CDE) can be a great help to you in your efforts to get your diabetes under control.

March 11, 2013 at 9:46 am

1 reply

Edie 2013-04-21 10:43:32 -0500 Report

I would ask your Insurance Company for a List of Doctors they use in your Area then interview some of them to see if they can help you. I did that last year but because my Dr. wouldn't listen to me so I interviewed one told him about everything that bothered me and he started from there answering my questions and then I gave him the Lab work I had with me to start my file with. I am very happy with the Dr I now have I hope you can find one that works very well with you also.