I have just been told I have type 2 and need to exerecise and diet. My problem is a work injury, which keeps me from doing a lot of nomal things like bending, stooping, standing, reaching, etc. So, what is my best bet on losing weight and exercising?

Amy Campbell


My suggestions for you are to first ask your doctor for a referral to a dietitian. He or she can help you with an eating plan that’s geared towards weight loss, but that is tailored to your food preferences and eating schedule. Another option is to consider a commercial weight management program, such as Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem. These companies offer programs for people with type 2 diabetes and they provide a lot of support. Second, talk to your doctor about getting a referral to a physical therapist, exercise physiologist or certified personal trainer. There most certainly are physical activities that you can do, but you will need some guidance and instruction on what’s best for you and how to do them safely.

March 7, 2013 at 8:59 pm

1 reply

Edie 2013-04-21 09:50:36 -0500 Report

If I may suggest something also try walking a short distance and build up as you can handle it. My Dr. gave me a new Medication called Victoza and it not only makes the body produce its own insulin but it also helps you to lose weight although it is not for weight loss. the more you walk the more the Victoza helps you lose weight. I have lost alot from just using it and my numbers have come down also. I'm not sure just how much I lost from using it but Since Dec. 3, 2010 I have gone from 268 to 196.2 just this Month on the 1st. I started Victoza back in May 2011.