I love it when I learn that something I enjoy eating is also good for me — a too rare treat for a person with diabetes!
A recent study reported by The National Center for Biotechnology Information says eating avocados can not only reduce your risk of certain diseases, but also help you slim your waist and keep your weight down. This article covers the study and the benefits of eating avocados.
Why I Think Avocado Rocks
· Helps with weight loss: The study found people who regularly eat avocados were, on average, 7 1/2 pounds lighter than those who don’t eat avocados. Their waistlines were also an average of 1.6 inches smaller.
· Reduces risk of heart attack and type 2 diabetes: People who eat avocados have a lower risk of developing metabolic syndrome which can lead to heart issues and type 2 diabetes.
· Fewer wrinkles: Avocados are rich in carotenoids and may slow down how quickly our skin ages. Vegetables that are high in healthy fats, such as the avocado, help with skin elasticity.
· Anti-inflammatory benefits: “Chronic inflammation has been linked to an increasingly long list of diseases, from Alzheimer’s to heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, sleep apnea, and cancer,” according to the article. A small study showed that eating a hamburger with a slice of avocado reduced the inflammation and reactivity in the arteries two hours after eating.
· Possible protection against cancer: In lab tests, researchers have found that the phytochemicals found in avocados have either an inhibiting effect, or outright kill, some cancer cells. It’s important to note that this research has only been done on a cellular level and has not yet been studied in humans.
It’s about time that a food that tastes good is also good for us. Avocados are a high-fat food, but it’s the good kind of fat. They are also loaded with fiber which slows down your digestion. Throw some in your salad or top your favorite wrap to add some yumminess to your diet without wrecking your hard work.