This is part of a series by George Tohme, a Registered Pharmacist. George will be suggesting small actions toward a healthy lifestyle and sharing experts from his book.
Can anyone really “defeat” chronic diseases such as diabetes, pre diabetes, high cholesterol and blood pressure? Continued…
You can reverse type 2 diabetes, pre diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol and some forms of heart disease if the underlying conditions that caused these diseases are addressed effectively. This fact is evidence based.
Not everyone can expect to reverse their disease condition and be off of their medications, but almost everyone can expect to manage and regain control of their chronic disease.
The media, academic institutions and all health organization have documented countless actual people who were able to reverse pre diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and type 2 diabetes when they lost weight and continued to be physically active. During my pharmacy career, I’ve helped people do just that.
Not long ago on “Fit Nation,” a program hosted by Dr. Sanjay Gupta on CNN, an executive of a large corporation was interviewed because the whole company was implementing a wellness program. As a result, he lost some 65 pounds in a about six months and he was able to reverse type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol, and his doctor got him off of all his medications.
He was very moved while telling his compelling story of how good it feels to be free of all those life threatening conditions and how he did it all by learning how to make favorable lifestyle choices. He pledged to continue the same road and to not look back.
I advise you not to make any changes to your prescribed medications without consulting with your doctor otherwise your condition may worsen and you can be in danger.
All you need to know is that you can “defeat” disease by taking small steps at a time. So don’t wait any longer take action your time to defeat your disease condition is NOW.
Small Action of The Week
Drink five to six glasses of water and a couple low calorie or sugar free beverages if desired. The easiest way to consume a lot of sugar and calorie is through sugary soft drinks, other “sweetened” beverages like tea, cream and dairy-filled coffee choices.
Remember: Small actions get you priceless health benefits
What actions did you take today? Are you keeping up with the previous Small Action of The Week tips? Share a thought or ask me a question. I want you to hear from you.
“Lifestyle Makeover For All Couch Potatoes”
Here’s an excerpt from “Lifestyle Makeover For All Couch Potatoes,” by George F. Tohme, Pharmacist
Lose weight permanently by making balanced food and activity choices. Never ever diet again.
Your Health is the Sum of Choices You Make Every Day
Millions of Americans tune in each week to witness extreme makeovers that focus on the body’s exterior, but what of the overweight and obese 180 million (according to the CDC) adults and kids alike whose interior vital organs are literally festering and falling apart from chronic deadly diseases that are preventable?
And worse: According to the CDC a staggering 1.7 million die every year from three preventable factors: Obesity, physical inactivity and smoking (Quitting tobacco use in powerful but simple 3 Action steps is addressed in the e-book “Lifestyle Makeover for Smokers and All Tobacco Users”).
If you are overweight and leading a couch potato lifestyle and don’t have or don’t know if you have diabetes, pre-diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol or heart disease first you MUST get checked by your doctor to find out. Hiding your head in the sand will only make the situation worse.
The choices that you have been making EVERY DAY to the quality and quantity of meals, snacks, beverages, tobacco use and the amount of walking or lack of it is causing your demise without you knowing it.
However, the GOOD NEWS is that with a lifestyle makeover and a couple balanced food and activity choices per day you can literally prevent, manage, or even reverse deadly diseases and their complications. You will also lose weight permanently while enjoying a balance of nutritious food and without ever dieting again.
What matters most in life is our quality of life. When the enjoyment of life is impeded or when life ends prematurely by such deadly predators that are preventable, then you can see why a Lifestyle Makeover is urgently needed by almost all Americans.
This e-book will show, in a very simplified manner, how ANYONE can turn their life around by improving their decisions to only 5 choices per day: 1) Meal quality and portion sizes, 2) Snack choices, 3) Beverage choices, 4) Activity choices and 5) Stress management (Covered in the e-book titled “The Lifestyle Makeover: Sex, Stress and Alcohol”).
That’s what this e-book is all about. You can do it. It is much simpler than you think.
Our lives and health are precious miracles, and we must take an active and leading role in preserving these divine and physical gifts. Adults are role models to kids. Informed adults who make wiser meal and snack choices, who also shift gradually to a more active lifestyle and involve all the family in these choices, will reap the rewards; not only for themselves, but those rewards will reach to all family members, including any overweight children who will learn from these parents’ actions. The plusses of parents who make conscious favorable food and activity choices are endless. It’s a priceless reward for the adults and their children.
THE LIFESTYLE MAKEOVER PROCESS
The Rewards to You If You Start and Continue the process of a Lifestyle Makeover by persistently making Favorable Lifestyle Choices:
- Your body will respond optimally to the effects of medications if you have high blood pressure, cholesterol and heart disease.
- If you are diabetic or pre-diabetic, your blood sugar levels and blood pressure will be “under control”.
- Your bad cholesterol and triglycerides will decline, and your good cholesterol will increase.
- Your doctor may want to cut back your medications by up to a half or more as your health improves and become more active. That’s substantial savings to your pocket book but the benefits to your overall health and quality of life are priceless.
- If you are not diagnosed with a chronic disease yet then your risk for heart disease and the chronic deadly ailments, mentioned above, will be drastically reduced and prevented.
- If you are a smoker and in process of quitting learning how to build new favorable food, snacks, beverage and activity habits will be paramount to your quitting effort and to remain tobacco free permanently.
- You will be able to lose weight, in control of your weight and maintain that loss permanently. By doing so, you will minimize or eliminate any chances of ever having chronic diseases.
- You will enjoy a more zealous quality of life and expect to achieve a natural lifespan.
- Your sexual health will improve dramatically.
- You will have positively influenced those around you and those who look up to you, such as your children.
- You will save money in the short and long run, because the risk of treating complications is reduced. If all possible complications are reduced or eliminated, you will need fewer medications, and even your current medications/dosages may be reduced. You will be spending more time enjoying your life with your loved ones instead of spending that time in the hospital recovering from avoidable complications.
Starting the change towards a healthier lifestyle is going to be at the heart of your quest to achieve and maintain good health and to be able to avert all the debilitating and life-threatening diabetes and chronic disease complications; you will consequently be able to enjoy the ultimate quality of life. By Lifestyle Makeover process, I mean establishing and maintaining new and favorable habits of choosing to:
- Consume balanced meals in a balanced daily distribution
- Consume favorable snack, beverage and dessert choices
- Increase your daily activity levels
- Manage and reduce your stress levels
And if you are a smoker, consider quitting smoking or using any tobacco products as soon as possible by referring to my guide, “ Lifestyle Makeover for Smokers.”
But you say, “It’s easier said than done.” And you might ask:
- “What are the components of a balanced meal for me, as somebody who has diabetes and other problems like high cholesterol and blood pressure?”
- “Will I be deprived of desserts for the rest of my life?”
- Does balanced food choices means that no food is off limit as long as we consume it in balanced amounts, frequency and portions?
- What snacks and beverages are getting us in trouble?
© Copyright Tohme 2011
All rights reserved. Except where indicated, no part of this book may be reproduced in any form without written permission from the publisher and/or the author.