Out of control and scared

Ma Eagleson
By Ma Eagleson Latest Reply 2011-05-22 13:35:11 -0500
Started 2011-02-02 10:52:55 -0600

Hi Group - I lost my job of 39 years and currently do not have health insurance. I was taking glipizideXL and Janumet for my Type 2 diabetes. I asked my physician to change my prescriptions to just glipizide and 500 mg metformin twice/day as the other medications were too expensive. I have stopped checking my blood glucose because of the cost of the strips. I try very hard to watch what I eat and to exercise. Last week, my sister visited and (using my own stylet) I used her glucose monitor to check myself as it has been a while. I was shocked to see a reading of 425. My fasting readings have never been good…running around 200, but the 425 has me scared. Suggestions, anyone?

12 replies

Gwen Morten
Gwen Morten 2011-05-22 13:35:11 -0500 Report

I understand completely! I to had lost my job and insurance and didn't know what to do. I ran out of my meds and tried to just exercise and eat right but it didn't work. I contacted a research group that studies new drugs for diabetes and high blood pressure. I started up with them agreeing to take their drug (one injection a wk for 8 mons) and they provided all my diabetes supplies and meds for free. They also gave me 3 ekgs and checked my blood and urine for any abnormalities. That beats trying to "borrow" meds from family members!
I also went to one of the clinics here in atlanta that goes by your income. I paid $20 to see the dr, and lab fees. That helped a lot!

nanaellen 2011-05-19 19:30:10 -0500 Report

You can also try the manufacturer of your meds. sometimes they have a patient perscription plan. I'm on lantus insulin and they'll pay for one year through your Dr.! Can't help with the supplies cause I'm in the same boat as you are. But if it goes over 400 again please go to the E.R. so they can get it under control and the hospitals usually have programs to for when they discharge you they will pay for your meds!

Lucinda Sullivan
Lucinda Sullivan 2011-02-20 00:57:29 -0600 Report

One place you can go is yourrxdiscount.com. They have many discount coupons you can print and use to get discounts on medications. It is a very good site for people with no insurance. Also I would check my local social service agencies and see if they have medical insurance coveragel for you and your situation. If your local social service does not then check state social service agencies. I work for the State of Connecticut and we have State insurance around here that covers many medicatons along with medical appointments. Good Luck

jcriley 2011-02-02 21:19:39 -0600 Report

I know what u mean. I moved and have no job or insurance. I fond what they call a christian clinic and i get my metformin and stuf free as long as i meet what they call 4. That helps me out a lot

cagonzales03 2011-02-02 14:27:25 -0600 Report

I do not have insurance but where I live I get my meds at my HEB because they have a discount card and I get my metformin for $10 on a 90 day.

alanbossman 2011-02-02 12:21:01 -0600 Report

I don't know if you have a meijer near you but they do not charge for the metformin its free. At walmart I think the cost is 10 dollars for 90 day supply for metformin Also you should see your doctor to adjust your meds. your fasting blood sugar is to high. You need to get better control of your BS,fasting numbers should be between 70 and 120. BS numbers after 2 hours should not be above 140.

CoRinaB 2011-02-02 12:16:54 -0600 Report

I'm also new to the site, but one thing I have learned is that you can find all kinds of discounts or coupons on-line. I just found one that might help you.

Here's the website: http://www.internetdrugcoupons.com/Janumet-Co...

Check it out! I'm wondering if the stress is causing your reading to spike so high like that.
Good luck with everything and hope it all works out for you.

EJMac 2011-02-02 11:57:33 -0600 Report

I'm new here at this site, but I have read about people getting discounted or free supplies. Sound like you really need to keep track especially since you might be a little more stressed. You deserve some time off.

John Crowley
John Crowley 2011-02-02 11:19:13 -0600 Report

Jim is right, check out the Walmart ReliOn brand strips, they are quite affordable. You've got to be able to check regularly. Also, you may want to check with your doctor about your metformin dose. It's possible that you need more than 500 mg.

There are many places to find help. Certainly, check with your local health department first.

Here are some great tips from our very own Amy Tenderich: http://www.diabeticconnect.com/diabetes-artic...

re1ndeer 2011-02-02 11:16:30 -0600 Report

Hi, and welcome to the DC Community.

So Sorry to hear you lost your job.

Do you have a Walmart Store near you, you can purchase a reasonable meter for about $19, and their strips are also reasonably priced (not sure on price).

If you can, try and get this meter and strips. Try to do your checks about 3 times a day, either before or after your meals.

Go to your States Health department, maybe you could apply for state aid in the mean time till you can get back on your feet.

It's great you are watching what you eat, and doing exercise, that helps a lot.
Also, stressing about your condition (which I know is hard not to do), will raise your blood sugars.

Stay with this community, we will be here to help you in whatever way we can. Good Luck.

jim_teddybear 2011-02-02 11:13:14 -0600 Report

check with your local health department or ask your doctor if there is free medical insurance inyour area. also try calling some of the meter places they may give you free strips. walmart also has cheaper costs on meds. check with a church too they may be able to trun you to some place that can help. Times are tough now we have to help when we can. watch your carbs and try to walk 20-30 mis aday 2 or 3 times aweek this will help lower your sugar down. good luck i hope you find some help

Next Discussion: fast or not »