19 year old with type 1 in need of help

By Jeanna03 Latest Reply 2011-03-24 00:49:09 -0500
Started 2011-01-11 14:06:19 -0600

My nephew's girl friend has type 1 diabetes and epilespy. She has no insurance coverage and is unable to work therefore unable to get her medss, has been in the hospital quite a bit. Can you give me some information on how to help this child.

Thank you,

Jeanna Farmer

6 replies

door331 2011-01-12 21:57:52 -0600 Report

I had to go without insurance for over a year and it was very tough. Unfortunately I did not qualify for any kind of state aid either.

As the others have mentioned, state aid is probably the best permanent answer but here are a few other things to get by.

Being 19 she should qualify for coverage under her parents but I am assuming for one reason or another she is not since you are posting here. Although keep in mind the new healthcare bill may help her get coverage under her parents for 2011.

If you can get a doctor to see her you should be able to request free samples. A bottle or two of insulin will help until you find a better solution.

Humulin N and R insulin is available behind the counter without a prescription at the pharmacy. It wont be cheap (~$45 per bottle) but without a prescription this is one way to get the insulin needed. Depending on the state you live in you can also get syringes without a script as well.

Another option is to contact the insulin manufacturers. They all have programs to offer you a discounted price if you cant afford your meds but there are a few hoops you will need to jump through.

Hope you find help out there!

LKeplinger 2011-01-12 18:27:25 -0600 Report

If she has been in the hospital "quite a bit", I am somewhat taken aback that a case worker in the hospital has not assisted her in obtaining benefits, either through a state medicaid program…or possibly SSI benefits if she is found to be disabled.

GabbyPA 2011-01-12 18:24:22 -0600 Report

If she is not with her family, she can surly qualify for state aide. The health department is the place to start. They are based on income, and if she has none, then she should qualify for help there.

realsis77 2011-01-12 16:02:10 -0600 Report

I would go to the department of human services in your state.usually they can help with medical coverage. It only takes an application in most cases. This is where they can get state insurance to pay for doctors visits and medication. Id go as soon as possiable so they can get coverage as soon as possiable! I hope this helped and good luck. You can find the address and phone number in your local phone book.

re1ndeer 2011-01-11 19:01:51 -0600 Report

Does your state offer some kind of medical care? Usually you can go to your states medical site, and get information. Or maybe, she can apply for medicaid.
Hope you find what your looking for. Good Luck.