catching a cold only 3 weeks into diagnosis

By cureforjosh Latest Reply 2010-12-07 04:44:20 -0600
Started 2010-12-05 19:34:16 -0600

My 14 year old is showing signs of a cold since yesterday, and is coughing quite a bit today. Thankfully he isn't running a fever and is eating well. His numbers are holding steady and I am trying to home remedy his symptoms as much as possible. Should I check for keytones even though he isn't running a fever? I have had him check his sugars a few extra times and things seem ok. As a new parent to all of this, am I overreating? Ugh, it's hard enough when they are healthy!

8 replies

cureforjosh 2010-12-06 22:08:03 -0600 Report

Hi Everyone! Thank you so much for the advice and caring. I did take Josh to his pediatrician and he has a viral upper respitory infection. His Dr. actually had the same thing a week ago, so he identified with all of the symptoms. His chest was clear (Thank God!) and he is to use his inhaler 3 times a day and stay home from school again tomorrow. I did check his ketones and they are normal! WAHOO! Still no fever and his numbers were right on track all day. Hoping tomorrow brings more of the same! :)

Crashnot 2010-12-06 16:49:38 -0600 Report

I've always been prone to deep, racking chest colds. Going on mega-doses of Vitamin D last winter worked wonders, I barely got the sniffles! 35 I.U. of D per pound of body weight seems to be the going way to figure doses if you want to get his blood level of D up there and boost his immune system.

jayabee52 2010-12-05 22:22:32 -0600 Report

Yes, you want to check for Ketones, if for nothing more than easing your and Josh's minds.

If josh doesn't get signifigntly better by Monday, I know if it were my child I would take him into to see his Dr. I don't know, but some other diseases could present themselves in this way.

Blessings to you and yours

cureforjosh 2010-12-05 22:31:00 -0600 Report

Thank you for easing my mind. He sounds very croupy and cannot stop coughing. I have given him OTC meds that are safe, but did have to resort to his albuterol. He had pneumonia last year, so he tends to go right to the chest now. I will check his Ketones, and make him an appointment tomorrow with his pediatrician. It is worth the co-pay to know he is ok. Thanks again!

God Bless!

realsis77 2010-12-06 12:52:29 -0600 Report

I hope josh gets better soon. Keep us posted on how he's doing and let us know what the doctor said ok?

Next Discussion: i need help still »