How I got type-1 diabetes in 1960

Johnben or JB.
By Johnben or JB. Latest Reply 2010-10-18 18:11:13 -0500
Started 2010-10-18 13:32:30 -0500

How I got diabetes in 1960.
This is to tell you how come a good looking man like me (according to my magic mirror on the wall) suddenly found himself with diabetes. Up to that point I was never interested in diabetes, of course I did hear about it but I also heard of many other diseases that all the OTHER people had. It was far from my bed! They probably did something that a wise person like myself would not do, hence, they got into trouble. It was not that I didn't care about these people, but hey, you just can't care about everybody now, could you?
I heard that people with diabetes had to quit sugar in there tea as my friends told me, but what was this I heard, some had to take a needle? Why not just take a pill or two and get it stopped soon.
Well they probably got diabetes using too much sugar and cake and candy… Yeah, that must have been the case! SOME PEOPLE! They just must have too much of things… Also heard that if you stopped taking sugar in your tea or coffee, that it would go away in about 6 months. Not much of a disease I say!
So, it was about one week before Christmas 1960. I was an active bowler! You know, you throw those balls down an alley hoping to hit some pins with them, understanding that you must stay in you own lane or risk a black eye from you neighbor. Well believe it or not, I was a very good bowler almost always at the top. This night just before Xmas something was giving me trouble! Jah, what the heck, did they change the alley, did they move the pins further back? Where they all there, how come I couldn't count them? A friend came up to me saying " John you had one to many? You don't look very stable!" I became dizzy! I didn't want to have a strike on the next alley and a black eye to boot! By George, I had to go home! Not feeling well at all!
I got in the car and TRIED to drive home. Funny thing that line in the middle of the road was moving, to the left and than to the right! Never seen this before! I was a very quiet evening, good for me.
Got home, that is to say, I walked into the door, no, I actually opened it, yes I did so, I saw Johanna had a scared face and the next minute, no second, did lay on the floor. Went right through my knees and that was it! Was able, with help, to climb into a chair! Took an aspirine… That's good for everything right?
Saw the doctor the next morning. He took bloodtests and some other ones.
Next morning, the doctor on the phone,…"John your blood sugar is extremely high, you go to the hospital right now!" "Doctor, I can't I have appointments to keep." "John, if you don't go right now, I can't take any responsibility for you! " Well OK, but I don't see why!"
And so to the hospital, a story all by itself!
Now tell me, what happened when you got it?


2 replies

Harlen 2010-10-18 18:11:13 -0500 Report

I whent on vacation and having a great time but I was so grumpy and I am never ever grumpy so when I got back whent to see my doc and she sead lets do some test,The rest is as it is lol Big D
So I jumped on the net and started looking up all the info that was there.
Boy there is a LOT of info lol .So after gathering a lot of info
I started to work on getting my #'s down was on pills that didnt work at all for me lol so whent to shots that was a hard road to walk but after a year I got it.
So for the next two years I was working hard on keeping my #'s down and doing good then a frend of my wifes showed me her pump and how it worked I was hoocked.I got to get me one of them. The doc sead see if your ins comp will pay for one and get there OK on it.I did then the Endo sed it will take a year to learn all the things you need too and get the schooling you will need .
I showed her the certificate where I did the online school already lol
Well to make a long story short I love my pump
Best wishes

Crashnot 2010-10-18 16:06:59 -0500 Report

I came down with strep throat in 1968 when I was 11 months of age. Went to the hospital where they diagnosed me and managed to overlook that the blood test drawn was above 800. So they kept me overnight, gave me flat 7-Up in my bottle to get me to drink and "rehydrate" and the next morning told my folks they could take me home. Problem was I was totally unresponsive by then because they'd put me into a coma. So I was transferred by police car to a bigger hospital about an hour away. Spent many days in that coma and finally came out of it to a whole new way of life!


Next Discussion: hospital food »