what to do?

By BOBBYG1 Latest Reply 2010-09-25 21:22:16 -0500
Started 2010-09-25 12:20:04 -0500

does anyone have any suggestions here goes i was told i am diabetic after some blood work *but i have no insurance and can not afford to see a doctor i was also told i have nerve damage after a few tests * well i do not know how to treat myself or where to start

3 replies

GabbyPA 2010-09-25 21:22:16 -0500 Report

Hey BobbyG1, I was right in your same boat. I self tested because I suspected I had it. I was also uninsured and really didn't know where to start. I knew I had to do something until I could figure out how to get to a doctor to get more help. So, also like you, I became a member here and asked all kinds of questions and got some life saving advice here with this great group of people. I read a lot of books, looked at other websites and got busy trying to implement the things I was learning. It is better to get active doing the things you are learning than to just wait around.

I did eventually find a doctor at a clinic that takes patients on a sliding scale. I was not poor enough to qualify for the health department, but not rich enough to pay full cost care. Call your local hospital and ask them for their network of free or assisted care programs. It might take a few calls, but you will find what you are looking for if you try.

Until then, get a meter and some test strips. There are great videos offered by many of the manufacturers of meters explaining how to use them. I would start with a Target or WalMart one, as the strips are more affordable and those you are going to use a lot.

Do a couple of searches here on carb counting and type 2 diabetes just to get some basic guides. We have some great videos and articles as well as the discussions. You can find all kinds of great info here.

Hook up with www.diabetes.org (the American Diabetes Association) and there is also www.dLife.com and many more. Get the free booklets and stick to the basics of diet and exercise. With just diet changes and some moderate exercise I was able to decrease my glucose levels by over 100 points on my own. There are tons of things you can do before you see a doctor.

I am not saying don't get one. You need one to monitor your blood work and help you where you need additional help. But don't feel that you are lost because you can't get into one right away. It took me 9 months to get mine. By then I had lost 60 pounds, had a good grasp on my diet and was exercising. His work was half done! LOL

Harlen 2010-09-25 20:58:30 -0500 Report

If you dont treat it it will get bad for you
cut as menny carbs as you can till you can see a Doc
Best wishes

realsis77 2010-09-25 15:00:40 -0500 Report

Hi I would go to my health department and see if they have any state funded programs for you to apply for. I believe the health department costs are on a sliding scale depending on your income and I'm sure they can help or find a program for you! I check right away or call and tell them your situation. They know of all the funded programs. Best wishes.

Next Discussion: itching at injection part »