Susan Sloane and I spent a week in San Antonio with thousands of Certified Diabetes Educators. It was their annual conference. We were able to check out some cool exhibits from some big (and not-so-big) names in diabetes.
Here were some of Susan's favorites from the conference:
My goodness, John and I just got back from the AADE conference in San Antonio; and things were hot, like over 100 degrees hot!! There were so many things to see and food to taste. I will just recap some of my favorites.
1. Diabetes Research and Wellness Foundation-This is a place for great educational material. You can find them on the web at www.diabeteswellness.net. They also fund a lot of research projects to help find a cure for diabetes.
2. Dreamfields Pasta-This pasta is a higher fiber pasta with great taste and lower carbs. I have started using it and my family loves it!
3. Intuity Medical-This company has developed POGO®, the first all in one glucose monitoring system. There is a lancet device built into the meter, which gets just the right amount of blood. It is awaiting final FDA clearance, which I expect will happen soon. I really liked this one.
4. Prodigy Diabetes Care- I saw some talking blood glucose monitors here, which is very helpful for visually impaired patients or those that need a bit more help with home blood testing.
5. Sweetleaf Stevia Sweetener-This product tasted very good and can be used in many recipes. One packet is equal to two teaspoons of sugar. You can find recipes at www.sweetleaf.com.
6. Nestle—I loved sampling the brand new Lean Cuisine products. These meals are a great tasty alternative if you don’t have time to cook, or if you’re like me, and can’t cook!! The Thai noodles were my personal favorite.
7. Origin Biomed- This company makes Neuragen® which is a natural topical product for neuropathy. I was a skeptic at first, until I saw so many folks come to the booth touting the benefits of this product. It is made with natural flower oils, and has a flower aroma.
8. Gergana’s Grand Deserts- This company had beautiful cakes and cookies, all low carb. I liked the flavor, but would add fresh fruit to the cakes for added zest!
9. Insulet- I loved this insulin pump because it has no tubing. It is so easy to use; I really feel this product is a winner!
10. Diabetes Health Magazine- This is a great publication that is well written and easy to read. There is also an online version of the magazine as well.
11. Lifetag- This company has awesome looking medical ID Jewelry.
We saw so much and could not wait to share with you!!!!
One thing I wanted to add to Susan's list was the Tandem Insulin Pump. This pump is still waiting for FDA approval. But I have to say WOW! It looks like a mini iPhone with the color touch screen and everything. It is light-years ahead in terms of the user interface. Very intuitive. Very cool. And it's a brand new company based out of San Diego, California. Check out their website: http://www.tandemdiabetes.com/
Next Discussion: I have been wondering?? »