Some diabetics see an endocrinolgist, so have a neurologist what's the difference

By Lakeland Latest Reply 2010-08-07 18:34:29 -0500
Started 2010-08-06 22:26:28 -0500

It seems to me that these 2 types of doctors in some way overlap in helping a diabetic. Can someone tell me the difference? Do you need both??


3 replies

Lakeland 2010-08-07 18:34:29 -0500 Report

Thanks, I'm also dealing with chronic pain & there is a free seminar coming up by a neurologist, I wasn't sure which one I needed. Thanks so much!!

Elrond 2010-08-06 22:44:41 -0500 Report

Hi Diane,
An endocrinologist specializes in the endocrine system, of which the pancreas is a major member. Usually, we diabetics will try to find an endocrinologist who specifically deals with diabetes. A neurologist deals with the nervous system, which is nearly always affected by diabetes. So while a diabetic can get by with a simple family practitioner, he or she should find an endocrinologist who specializes in diabetes and will almost certainly need a neurologist at some point.