Issues with the school nurses

By dwasmer Latest Reply 2010-08-01 22:07:58 -0500
Started 2010-07-27 22:15:16 -0500

My 8 year old daughter was diagnosed back in April of 2006 with Type 1 diabetes. Since we have moved to Arizona, the school that she attends gives us an extremely hard time about counting her carbs, giving her shots when we ask and just being generally miserable to my child. I have tried to address the problem a number of times with the school principle but the nurse is still in place and we continue to have CONSTANT issues. Where do I complain. We live in a small community and everyone is linked in some way, shape or form. I feel completely unarmed and unable to get these issues resolved.

9 replies

monkeymama 2010-07-28 13:01:34 -0500 Report

Hello there! I am a mother with two special needs kids. I can try to offer you some direction with this issue. My husband and I have been doing our own battles for years with our younger two kids and the Kenosha Unified School District Schools. I do not know about Arizona's school system there but here there is a such thing as a IHP (Individualized Health Plan), IEP (Individualized Education Plan), and Section 504 (when you do not meet the guidelines for other support…). These are plans that you create with her education team to better help her function in school. When you have a plan like these, the school is FORCED to follow the plan or else they can face serious legal sanctions/penalties. I am sure your daughter is a VERY SMART little girl. If there are no other educational issues like LD or things of such. You would be looking at doing a Section 504. I would definitely look into this to help you out. Talk to your daughters doctor and see if he/she can call and speak to her nurse. Get all of the medical documentation together and fight back with force. Do not be afraid of the school. If a school is placing your daughters life at risk, I would be putting the foot down full force. Get ahold of the school board. Whatever you do, do not back down or allow them to push you in this matter. Getting something on legal documents/forms like I mentions, places THEM and forces THEM to be accountable and MANDATORY to follow this.

If you have any further questions or want to talk more about this. I would be more than willing to help you out with this. I have been dealing with these kinds of issues for over 7 years now with our school system. Hang in there and if you need anything, just let me know.


dwasmer 2010-07-29 17:46:09 -0500 Report

Thank you Becca for the encouragement. I am sorry you have been having a difficult time but I guess that works in my favor. I am looking into these matters as I write. My daughter doesn't have any learning disability issues. The only thing we seem to be facing at the school is several nurses who do not want to follow the directions of Kailyn's doctor. I don't understand it at all. We have submitted the paperwork and showed them in writing what the doctor prescribes but they fight us.

They have told us that the doctor doesn't know what she is doing and that we need to find a new one. They also have been pressing us to get her on the pump since she started in this school in 2008. I personally think it is due to laziness. I don't think they want to deal with Kailyn. This is a new school and Kailyn is only 1 of two type 1 diabetic children and the other is on the pump and related to one of the admin staff.

They have stated numerous times how long they have been in the nursing field and do not need direction. I tell them she needs her shots before lunch and they give them to her after lunch. I tell them she needs her shots to be given in various locations to avoid swelling, they insist on giving them in the same spot. I show them how to do the calculations for her highs, they don't factor them in. Several of the school nurses snap at Kailyn any time she asks a question. She asks to do her own shots which I have shown her how to do and the doctor recommended and they say she is too young. They undermine me every chance they get and I am about to lose my cool.
Thanks for listening. Sorry so long. It is nice to tell someone who may have an inside perspective.

LKeplinger 2010-08-01 22:07:58 -0500 Report

Ditto on the IEP and the 504— very important documents that will put things in place for your daughter—- and if not, then someone has to answer.

Maybe you should have the Dr. contact this school nurse and assure her (remind her) that 1) he is the prescribing care provider and 2) failure to follow the written orders could result in disciplinary action from the nursing board. I would also contact your board of education— your school nurse's supervisor can be found there. Oh— and it doesn't matter how long they have been in the profession. There is something new to be learned every day.

Harlen 2010-07-28 09:23:10 -0500 Report

I whent to the superintengent of schools you mite even try the PTA ?
Or even the school bord I did all three till I got what my grandbaby needed
There are still unhappy with me lol
Best wishes

bettymachete 2010-07-28 00:10:25 -0500 Report

Recite the LAW to them… (this works normally)

"The right of children with diabetes to care for their diabetes at school is based on the Individuals With Disability Education Act (IDEA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. These laws provide protection against discrimination for children with disabilities, including diabetes. Parents can use these laws to ensure that, while at school, their children with diabetes can fully participate in all school activities, while at the same time caring for their medical needs. "

"If you find the school still not complying then request the preparation of an Individualized Education Program (IEP) and a Section 504 Accommodation for your child. At this point, the school must meet with you to negotiate the special services that your child requires. You should begin with the entire list of services in the School Bill of Rights for Children with Diabetes.

If your school still refuses to comply with the School Bill of Rights for Children with Diabetes, you should file a complaint with your state's department of education. This is the first step in the process of litigation against your school system.

Your child has a right to care for his or her diabetes at school. The scientific data are clear on the value of maintaining glycemic control. Since there is no break from diabetes, there can be no break from the need to care for it. Time spent at school is no exception. "

quoted from (

I have two sons with a IEPs and let me tell you it really keeps things in line as far as schools go.

dwasmer 2010-07-28 03:39:59 -0500 Report

Thank you for the information. I will do some research and bring that to the attention of the school. Again, thank you.

kdroberts 2010-07-28 05:25:10 -0500 Report

Call the American Diabetes Association or the juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. They have experts in your state who can help advocate on your behalf. As said, a 504 plan is an excellent choice as it is a legal contract that spells out what the school must do and what will happen if they don't.

dwasmer 2010-07-28 12:39:44 -0500 Report

Thank you. I agree and I am currently looking into that. I appreciate the information so much. I really have been very frustrated with how my daughter and my family gets treated at this school.

RAYT721 2010-07-29 18:04:50 -0500 Report

You got that right right!!! I have the right to remain silent but I can't shut up and insanity is a pre-existing condition. :)

Next Discussion: Omni pod »