By vmjensen Latest Reply 2010-05-26 21:33:26 -0500
Started 2010-05-25 10:49:27 -0500

HI I'm a new member with type two and has lost a leg, does anyone know where to get help finacally to help get a better leg other than my temp. leg hard to get a job that I can handle that has insurance.

1 reply

RAYT721 2010-05-26 21:33:26 -0500 Report

I first of all want to say that I respect your focus on ability more than your disability… what a great attitude!!! I would encourage you to contact the United Way Services to inquire on any counseling programs, vocational training, financial assistance, and/or whatever resources they can hook you up with. You might also check the yellow pages (do they still print yellow pages?) for "Social Service Organizations" to search out independent (non United Way) that may be of assistance in these areas. If you qualify for a social worker many of them will be able to guide you for local assistance. Networking is extremely important so get your needs out there to as many people and organizations as you can. Depending on your skills and experiences, you may wish to consider your own business and there are organizations (SBA, Score, etc) that can help with that kind of thing. You'll earn alot more profit working for yourself than you will working for someone else and there are tax credits for such an endeavor. First things first… get a hold of the United Way as quickly as possible.