Glucose Meters

By angeleyejen Latest Reply 2008-08-23 05:53:34 -0500
Started 2008-08-16 15:25:32 -0500

My insurance will not cover the test strips for the meter that I use which is the freestyle lite. But they will cover a meter that my endo. does not like which is the truetrack meter. I don't have the extra money to cover the cost of the test strips for the freestyle lite which would cost me $110. I am on SSI and have priority health insurance. I live in Michigan and I don't know if there is anything that I can do for this but use a meter that may give me the wrong readings. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do for this please HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!

7 replies

patti 2008-08-22 12:53:28 -0500 Report

I had that problem with my ins comp also. I had to call the insurance and ask what meters they cover. Most ins comp cover more than 1 meter. Then talk to your doc. They (the office) can file an appeal with your ins company. Sometimes when the doc writes a letter and explains why they use certain meters the ins comp will comply and make an exception. I used to work for a doc's office and have to write such letters. Good luck and if I can help sedn me an email! Patti

angeleyejen 2008-08-23 05:53:34 -0500 Report

I've talked with the insurance company at first they would only cover the true track meter nothing else. My endo. sent a preotherazation form and the insurance company still said NO. I got a form to fill out if I wanted to fight it and I filled it out and mailed it. This past thursday was the day for the hearing. The day before the hearing they called me to let me know that they will cover the test strips to my meter that I already have.There reason for why it took so long…they needed my medical record from my endo. before they would cover any perscriptions. But yet they cover my insulin and the pills that I'm on before they even got my record.
All I can say now is that it helps to bitch at companies when you have to get something done.

Ryan 2008-08-16 19:43:51 -0500 Report

what kind of strips do they cover?…if I have a meter that you can get strips for it's yours

just4us3 2008-08-16 16:27:14 -0500 Report

I am from Michigan too and if you are on SSI you may also qualify for the Medicaid Program here.They also help with test strips and new meters