Insurance Coverage

By joni55 Latest Reply 2010-04-06 11:26:24 -0500
Started 2010-04-05 14:19:28 -0500

I just talked to the welfare office and was told that if you currently have to pay for supplemental health care, you may qualify for something called the MAUD program. This program would give you coverage, if you could show evidence of an income of ANY amount that could be proven and averaged. You pay 5% of your total income, including Social Security for it. It is way cheaper than the $163 a month that I am currently paying. Wow! Even for those of you who can't hold a regular job, this would be helpful. I cook sometimes for my neighbor and she is willing to do this. I can also get my paratransit service back. Yeah!!

5 replies

joni55 2010-04-06 11:26:24 -0500 Report

Sorry guys, it is MAWD. I spelled it wrong. I just talked to my therapist and she told me. I also called Social Security and they told me that for 9 months, there is no limit on income, but I need to let them know what I am doing. That would be federal thing. I think after that, if you are earning more than $1,000 a month, they reevaluate you. But, with what I do, clerical work, it will never happen anyway.

GabbyPA 2010-04-05 15:27:57 -0500 Report

Is this something available in all states or just your state?

joni55 2010-04-05 23:13:36 -0500 Report

I'm not sure, you could check. It took me 15 minutes to get through, so as you can imagine, I am in no hurry to call back. LOL

MAYS 2010-04-05 14:32:24 -0500 Report

That's great news, I'm glad to see that a solution has been found that benefits you and your situation, continue to take very good care of yourself.


joni55 2010-04-05 23:11:46 -0500 Report

Thank you so much! I went to the doctor today and don't you know I forgot to address the issue of not having enough test strips. Another wonderful senior moment and I am only 55. Welcome to Joniland.

Next Discussion: Cure Quackery »