Update on my MOM...we got "the Call"

By BeckyJ Latest Reply 2010-03-15 07:10:25 -0500
Started 2010-02-25 10:50:52 -0600

I know that this is a little off topic for this site but as I have become good friends with so many of you I knew that you would be happy to hear the good news. We received the call this morning that a liver is available for Mom. She is on her way to Kansas City to the KU Medical Center. I am still at home getting things arranged. I will be waiting until we get the official yes/no answer. This could be a false alarm, they warned us that the liver may not be acceptable but that we still needed to get there asap in case transplant is possible. We are 3 1/2 hrs from Kansas City but Dad is determined to get her there quickly .We were a little surprised by the call since the last we heard she was still #2 on the list. Asking for prayers. She has been so sick and this is our last option to save her life. My eternal thanks to the donor and their family. whether this works or not their genorosity will be forever appreciated by my family. God bless to all.

23 replies

BeckyJ 2010-03-01 11:38:35 -0600 Report

Had a good weekend. Got to recharge and prepare for another week. Mom is doin better emotionally. Knowing that it is all coming together has been a great relief. We went to get haircuts on Saturday and Dad was confused on why. He just doesn't understand that it will be at least 6 weeks stuck in a hospital bed and hospital bedhead is the worst. If she isn't going to be able to dress her hair up she at least wanted something managable, me too. All he could think of was the risk of infection. She wore a mask and was able to get in when it was only the hairdresser and us. Minimal risk. Since I will most likely not be able to be up there full time due to some health issues Dad would be responsible for the everyday hygene. He's pretty helpless on those things so I totally agreed on the need for a less fuss routine. Now we are truly ready, nothing left on the list but to go. Even have the bag packed this time. It's my turn for appts to get my bg's under control and to start a new treatment for my back so that I can be there with her when she needs me.

imsuzie2 2010-03-02 05:52:51 -0600 Report

One day at a time, Becky. Might also want to look into a wig for mom, they start around $30 or so, and the cheap ones wear as well as the expensive ones. Be good for a change for mom, and can be fun. Keep us in the loop. S2

judy makowski
judy makowski 2010-03-02 20:32:09 -0600 Report

Beckyj I am so hoping that this works out for all you. The fact that your moms emotional spirit is up will help her and the rest of the family. Good luck and God speed. You are all in our prayers and thoughts.

BeckyJ 2010-02-26 18:46:11 -0600 Report

False alarm for Mom. The other recipient was able to undergo surgery after all so they took her in around midnight. They had to wait for pathology results to make sure that her cancer was still in remission and that she was a viable candidate. They told Mom at 1:15 this morning that she wasn't going to receive the liver since the other recipient was stable and able to undergo surgery. Until then they kept telling her that she may receive the transplant so she needed to be prepared. NPO and no pain pills all day made her verrrrrrry uncomfortable. Good news for the other recipient is that everything seems to have gone well. She was in ICU by 9:00 am this morning and doing well. Mom was disapointed but we are very happy that there was a good result for the other lady. Dad got to see her family just before they released Mom and they were so relieved. Mom is now officially #1 on the list. She has gone from #3 to #1 just since Jan 16 so her time is near. All in God's time. This just wasn't her turn yet. Thank you to everyone for all your prayers and good wishes. The doctor told us that she could get another call at any time and to be prepared. We are just praying that she doesn't come down with anything that could get her pulled from the list. For now we are just waiting and praying.

Janney 2010-02-27 11:57:20 -0600 Report

Oh Becky, I know how heart wrenching it must be for you and your family, especially for your mom since she is so sick and just wants to get on with her life. The consolation is she has moved to the #1 spot and it will be any day now God willing it will be soon. Hang in there, keep us informed and we will continue to pray for you and your family. God bless you.

judy makowski
judy makowski 2010-02-27 20:34:30 -0600 Report

It is so difficult to have your hopes up and still be in limbo. I am so sorry it didn't work out for your mom this time but I am keeping all of you in my prayers.

imsuzie2 2010-02-27 22:10:24 -0600 Report

Becky, my heart goes out to you and the family during this wait. My bro-in-law had a liver transplant almost 2 yrs ago at Mayo, Jacksonville after being told a 5 to 7 yr wait at UCLA and only waiting about 4 months at Mayo. Being #1 on the list now, things will hopefully go more quickly this time. May angels surround your family and mother thru the experience.

Pam from KCMO
Pam from KCMO 2010-02-28 04:18:19 -0600 Report

I live in Kansas City, Becky, so if you need anything when you come back for the transplant, I'll email you my contact info. And my primary care physician is at KU Med, so I know the hospital well.

BeckyJ 2010-02-25 19:29:47 -0600 Report

Still waiting on news. So far they have continued to treat her as if she is recieving the transplant, without actually saying that she is. They have admitted her to the transplant ward and began all the pre-surgery tests and procedures. More news on the other recipient leaves us uncertain. We don't know her name or situation but we do know that she is having some health problems that may prevent her from being a good candidate for surgery. Until we know more we are waiting in limbo. We will not know more until they either take Mom into surgery or tell us that the other lady was approved for transplant instead. It is coming up on the 12 hr mark from the phone call so the decision must be made soon. I am so nervous/anxious/excited that I can't sit still. Any way this goes we are sooooo close to a solution. God bless and thanks to everyone for their well wishes.

MAYS 2010-02-25 11:02:51 -0600 Report

That is very good news indeed !
Our prayers go out to your mother and your family,
and you will continue to be in our prayers.
I hope that all goes well with everything !
" Mays "

BeckyJ 2010-02-25 11:02:05 -0600 Report

Dad just called to say that he spoke with Craig, the transplant coordinator at Ku. Mom is the back-up recipient for the donor. She is still officially #2 on the list. If however the #1 recipient is unable to undergo surgery she needs to be there to take their place. This lowered our hopes a little but we are still hopeful for a good outcome. Worst case scenario is that the #1 recipient gets the liver today and Mom moves up to next in line. We are still progressing toward the final outcome of a successful liver transplant for Mom. We will know more later today after the evaluation at the hospital. I will try and keep everyone updated. Still asking for prayers for not just Mom but also for the other recipient and their family.

God Bless,

Sue Turner
Sue Turner 2010-02-25 11:49:39 -0600 Report

Becky, that is wonderful news! Our prayers are with you, your family, Your mom, and the other recipient… Hugs, and love to you! Sue