Medicine &Diabetes

Blue Angel
By Blue Angel Latest Reply 2010-01-19 21:15:31 -0600
Started 2010-01-18 19:56:09 -0600

I found that medicines can cause high or lows. Now if you are taking Meds that make your sugar low . Do you eat More to Keep it up and risk too high sugars? Or High do you take half you medicine? Ihave anyone had this problem? what did you do about it?

6 replies

spiritwalker 2010-01-19 21:15:31 -0600 Report

If you are having medication problems its best to contact your Dr. right away. He can make adjustments based on your bg.
readings or change your medications completely. Each of us
reacts differently to Rx.

Zimoss 2010-01-19 21:10:39 -0600 Report

I think from your question that you are referring to oral meds for diabetes…

based on that assumption: you don't change the dose you are taking since they don't cause low blood sugars

(with a few exceptions) —
* chlorpropamide (Diabinese)
* glimepiride (Amaryl)
* glipizide (Glucotrol, Glucotrol XL)
* glyburide (DiaBeta, Glynase, Micronase)
* nateglinide (Starlix)
* repaglinide (Prandin)
* sitagliptin (Januvia)
* tolazamide
* tolbutamide
* glipizide + metformin (Metaglip)
* glyburide + metformin (Glucovance)
* pioglitazone + glimepiride (Duetact)
* rosiglitazone + glimepiride (Avandaryl)
* sitagliptin + metformin (Janumet)

the problem with most oral meds (except those listed above) is that they help your body use the insulin produced by your body already, but this usually doesn't lower your blood sugar if it goes too high…that is the main reason people go onto insulin.

I hope that answers your questions… but as always don't take my word for it, I am not a doctor and I don't know your personal situation, so be sure to consult with your doctor or certified Diabetes educator if you have more questions.


jayabee52 2010-01-18 22:46:52 -0600 Report

Harlen is right, Mary. You need to talk with your Dr if you are on something that causes your BGs to spike or drop consistently. If you have a drop, for instance you need to take juice or glucose tabs to bring it up, just DON'T PLAY WITH YOUR MEDS (either oral glycemic meds or injectables like insulin) ON YOUR OWN! Tell your Dr and let him/her adjust your dosage. Likewise do what you need to do to bring down a spike, without adjusting your med dosage. If your Dr won't listen to your concerns, find one who WILL work with you. Just don't go it alone.

All the best ~James~

Elrond 2010-01-19 04:22:36 -0600 Report

I have to agree with James. Your other meds are prescribed in specific dosages based on what you need. To attempt 'adjustments' can cause serious problems. Sometimes, depending on the med, even an underdose is dangerous. An overdose is certainly always a bad idea. Some prescription medications, such as steroids, are dangerous to just stop. If you are going to stop them, they should be 'tapered down' under a doctor's supervision.

Danni-the-diabetic 2010-01-18 21:22:19 -0600 Report

When I was 18 I went on an anti-depressant that caused my blood sugars to spike higher so I took a few extra units of my long lasting insulin. Keep a log of your sugars and see if you notice when they are spontaniously going up and how you need to adjust your meds or what you are eating.

Next Discussion: HELP »