Not old enough for Medicare

By icedsnow Latest Reply 2011-06-17 09:13:49 -0500
Started 2010-01-17 20:48:56 -0600

I am only 46 years old and have been without a job of insurance for almost a year now…why is it that only the elderly with medicare can receive testers and strips for type 2 and the rest of us can't even test because we can't afford the supplies

6 replies

JulieHS 2010-01-29 11:00:12 -0600 Report

The times right now are so frustrating and I hope that I can help you with this tip! Try buying your testing supplies through The savings on there are phenomenal! They have a huge selection of diabetes care supplies, including glucose meters, lancet strips and sensor strips. It was founded by a man who really cares for people and wants to help them saving money. His father suffered with diabetes and knows how costly it can be. You should really check it out.

MeiMei 2010-01-20 13:03:00 -0600 Report

Your state should have a state medical health insurance program also called Medicaid, in California it is called MediCal. You should also qualify for food stamps which is a federal program which should help your nutrition. Google Medicaid in your state to find the nearest location.

Harlen 2010-01-18 08:07:31 -0600 Report

I know its hard to ask but all states have some hellp for us you just got to look for it and ask till then try
they have helped a lot of frends here

GODSANGEL41309 2010-01-17 21:33:22 -0600 Report


I lost my full time job many years ago and along with that came no insurance, no job, no money and no knowledge of how to get assistance. I ended up in the emergency room and while waiting I started looking around (wasting time) and heard someone talking about getting financial assistance through the state. I inquired about what I heard and now I have what is called State Coverage Insurance. It has been very helpful to me financially and medically. If you would like more info on how to contact your state let me know and I will share the information I have.

spiritwalker 2010-01-17 21:08:24 -0600 Report

Every state is different but all have programs that you can apply
for medical assistance.

Check and see if there are any free clinics in your area.
Most of the time churches in your area would know about
these. Salvation Army runs several around the country.
Check with your Dr. Many medical offices have special
programs where after they check your records they can get
your on programs where you pay a very small amount
for medical supplies and Rx.

Next Discussion: blood donation »