Spells / Episodes

Kas - 77722
By Kas - 77722 Latest Reply 2009-11-04 12:29:55 -0600
Started 2009-11-03 14:24:17 -0600

My husband is pre-diabetic but has recently been feeling fuzzy-headed, dizzy; says he can't talk or think. Anything we can do when this happens? I wonder if it is the orange juice he drank this morning? but what about other times?

6 replies

Elrond 2009-11-03 22:06:02 -0600 Report

I agree with the others; this sounds very much like low sugar. When the sugar gets low, nerve cells, especially brain cells, aren't getting the nutrition they need so they fail to function. If this continues for long, they begin to die. In the mean time, the victim can't think or reason very well. At least for me, it's a lot like being drunk with none of the fun. Testing is a very good idea but when in doubt, administer sugar; a non-diet soda works well or in my case, I keep chocolate milk on hand for such emergencies. But by all means, check with your doctor.

Deb-G 2009-11-04 12:29:55 -0600 Report

Wait…if he is PRE-diabetic…he is not on any medications or?…Maybe this is "high" not a low…Not sure he would fall into the catagory to experience an insulin low?…Just thinking out loud…He may need to monitor his blood way more often and see what his levels are doing…spikes are not good either…and confusion can come with too high also…??

hbkunkel 2009-11-03 17:55:27 -0600 Report

I would also make sure that you have juice boxes with you in your vehicles so if you are out you can help him, or he can help himself when he experiences these episodes. Contact your doctor ASAP and get him everything that he needs. By the way, go with him to the doctor becauase two sets of ears are better than one. Feel free to take notes and have all your questions written down so you don't forget anything.

Hinboyz3 2009-11-03 16:22:51 -0600 Report

I would call his doctor and tell him/her what's going on with your husband, and just like Sarguillo said test his blood sugar to be sure if it is low. And if it is give him some oj, or a glucose table.

Sarguillo 2009-11-03 15:51:20 -0600 Report

if your husband is expirencing a low, that would be the symtoms. Have him drink a little OJ and see if he feels better. Do you have a meter to check his Blood sugar when he feels like this?

Good luck.

Next Discussion: Apparently I'm depressed »