Diagnosis Day: What Was Yours Like?

By GabbyPA Latest Reply 2016-05-13 23:50:12 -0500
Started 2016-01-07 08:01:34 -0600

Getting any serious health news can be overwhelming. There is the "C" word (cancer) and the "D" word…you know. The diabetes diagnosis that came from no where. It may have shocked you straight into denial. Or the diagnosis that came even though you were trying to prevent it because it runs in the family and you didn't want to loose a toe like Aunt Susie. Maybe it is your child who was sick and when the doctor finally figured it out, it was diabetes. This diagnosis comes in all kinds of forms and fashions and even if you suspect it, it is not always an easy thing to swallow. http://www.everydayhealth.com/news/what-its-l...

I was self diagnosed because I had no doctor at the time. I knew something was going on, so I used my mom's meter and a 301 popped up before I had eaten anything. I was a little freaked out to say the least, but I got right down to business. The really bad diagnosis day was when I did go see a doctor (actually she was a NP). Even though I had been actively dealing with my diabetes for almost 9 months with some success, her attitude and curt words just made me cry. She wouldn't answer any of my questions with more than "because all diabetics need or do this". I was horrified and deflated to say the least. I thought I would feel better knowing I had some medical help, but that has not been the case for me. I also went alone and that didn't help matters. I didn't think I needed anyone with me because I already knew I had diabetes, I really went to finally get help managing it.

What was your diagnosis day like? Was your doctor a life saver or an anchor? Did you walk away with more information than you came with or a bottle of pills and a push out the door? Did you go alone or was someone with you to help and support you emotionally?

111 replies

SashiStar 2016-05-13 23:50:12 -0500 Report

My diagnosis was by phone from the nurse after having labs. I had gone to my doctor for my regular check up. They had been doing fasting glucose tests for about 12 years and A1C tests for about 10 years but never had two in a row that were high enough. My doctor did tell me during the exam that if my levels weren't lower, he would start me on meds. Not a huge surprise, grandfather, father and brother diagnosed. My father passed away in February from kidney failure.

Karen with LADA
Karen with LADA 2016-01-24 12:31:14 -0600 Report

At age 51 I became a PWD, type 1. I am well and happy that I have a serious, yet treatable disease. I have a wonderful husband who is very supportive. I am lucky to have great medical care. I

The month I discovering I had T1 was such a chaotic experience. I had lost 10 pounds in 2 months; the same 10 lbs I had earnestly been trying to lose for the last 25 years. I was thrilled to be as skinny as a teenager, yet I knew in my heart this loss was not right. It came way too easy. I was also urinating a lot but that had been developing as I aged and seemed a normal part of being 51 years old.

I never hesitate to visit the doctor. Since web pages all said to see your doctor if you loose more than 10 lbs. or more than 10% of your weight I did not go right away. I felt absolutely fine. I had received a complete blood work-up just 5 months before. I decided that I must be having a thyroid problem and I would see my doctor soon. I then started gorging on carbs, because for the first time in my adult life I could. Yum oatmeal! I had avoided complex-carbs most of my life so this was such a treat.

I finally went to the doctor due to nighttime leg cramps (probably caused by dehydration). Those cramps hurt like hell and the only way to relieve them is to jump out of bed and stand up. I was about to leave for a camping trip. I figured that jumping up from a sleeping bag, in the dark, in a tiny tent, was not a going to work very well. I was hoping my doctor would give me some type of muscle relaxer to relieve the cramps. I also spoke to her about the weight loss.

I could not get in for a week so my visit was on a Friday morning, two days before the camping trip. Friday afternoon I receive a voicemail at work to call my doctor right away. I am panicking because we kept playing phone-tag and by 4:45 we had not connected. I was afraid we would not connect by the end of the workday and then I would spend all weekend worrying. Finally we connect at 5:00 and I am told they forgot a certain test and to stop by urgent care for more blood work. Whew! I worried all afternoon for nothing; just another test, no scary results and I do not have cancer. I now realize that when my blood sugar came in at 318 and the urine counts were high my doctor decided I needed an A1c test.

Friday night my blood sugar results post on my plan’s health portal and I quickly diagnose myself as having Type 2 diabetes. Since type 2 is all over my family getting it this young seemed unusual but not impossible. Then Saturday night I receive A1c results of 12.3. I have to look that up and the A1c chart tops at 12.0—oh, oh. My husband suggests I cannot be sure I have diabetes so I explain the purpose of those tests IS to diagnose diabetes.

I was about to camp with out of state family so no way was I canceling my trip. Believing that I had type 2 I decided to cut out all sugar and buy a glucose meter to see if my sugar goes down. The local pharmacy is closed for the night. Since I leave the next day at the crack of dawn I decide to buy a meter on the road. 3 hours from home, despite cutting out all sugars I am still in the 300s. I know this is an issue and a call to the Kaiser screening nurse leads me to urgent care. I keep texting my concerned family in the waiting room while waiting 4 hours to be seen. I felt so bad for causing such chaos and I keep apologizing to my family for not going to the doctor sooner. They were so supportive! (I would have been annoyed with my husband if he did this.)

I persuade the doctor I just need to get by until I get home in four days so I am given metformin. Learning to use insulin while camping seemed too challenging. We set up camp, in the dark and have a very enjoyable trip, but we also worry much of the time. Since I am in my T1 “honeymoon period” I am still producing some insulin so I manage to keep my sugar around 200 by gulping tons of water and eating very little. My doctor’s nurse reaches me on my cell and is happy to hear I already made an appointment for the day I return.

When my doctor tells me she is testing to see what type of diabetes I have I assumed she means what type of T2. I never dreamed I had T1. After testing positive for GAD I learn all about LADA. Leaving the pharmacy with a grocery size bag of supplies was very sobering.

I internet researched everything I can get my hands on and all the bad news is such a downer I turn off my computer. When I later find T1s with positive attestations it means everything to me (thank you all!). I have remained positive from the start. As I shared my news with friends I stopped them on the spot if they replied with “I am sooo sorry Karen. . .” That was not what I needed at that point.

I am really so thankful that I have a serous, yet very treatable disease. I know others with conditions that have few treatment options and they suffer many challenges. Everyone comments that I am the perfect person to get this disease. They know that I live a healthy lifestyle and I follow through. I consider this a compliment but also realize that most do not understand how serious this is.

30 years ago I shared a work cubicle with a T1 who talked about his disease non-stop. I learned so much about T1 during that time. After Brad moved away we would re-connect every few years at professional conferences. He has 44 years with no complications. He was always obsessive about his care and so am I. I feel so lucky to have a friend who understands this part of me. It is important to know others who understand. I can’t get over the irony that we talked about T1 so much and now here I am. At diagnoses he told me just what I needed. I received practical advice, without any drama. Brad did not tell me, ”Everything will be all right”. I now understand how hollow those words sound when facing something truly serious.

Thanks for letting me share.

P.S. Kaiser did not do that 5 month previous blood work-up. I was tested as part of an application for life insurance. My low-carb eating could have masked my diabetes. This is why the glucose tolerance tests and the A1c are better tests than just the fasting glucose test. Because LADA typically has a very low onset I may have been slowly losing my b-cells for decades.

GabbyPA 2016-01-24 13:47:16 -0600 Report

I am glad your doctor didn't stop and just assume you had type 2. And your friend Brad sounds wonderful. All of us could use a person who understands that well.

WASHED OUT 2016-01-24 13:46:17 -0600 Report

Well at 51 they now call it a type 1.5 although it really doesn't differ that much from type 1 or even matter at this stage. LADA comes on later in life and type 1 usually is called childhood diabetes as most have some kind of attack that sends them to the hospital for treatment and diagnosis. I am 58 and I guess I had done well getting this far , but mine has gone undiagnosed and caused me much damage. It was landing in the Hospital with multiple things going wrong at the same time that got my diagnosis. My kidneys, liver, heart were all acting up and my blood glucose was out the roof. My hbA1c was very high and now I have it down to 6, I have lost weight and mostly keep control of bg. You are right about those fasting test , I have had to have blood work many times when fasting for my heart doctor, I have heart stents. But never did I show up as a diabetic, even though I am sure they never run an A1C even if they run blood glucose test when my numbers would be low from fasting. I do think with the increase of diabetes there should be a regular test done at every doctor's office to find these people before there are problems.

Frankmochrie 2016-01-23 18:06:16 -0600 Report

Nov 17th 2005 is the day I found out I had diabetes. I was rushed to the hospital, (died 3 times on the way) with Pneumonia, while in the hospital I had a major heart attack. on Thanksgiving morning I had a Quadruple bypass. I was told my blood sugar level was 510, my lungs where about 90% blocked from the pneumonia. At the time I was 345 pounds smoked 2 packs a day and didn't do any exercises at all. When I got out of the hospital I quit smoking (cold turkey). I went online and learned everything I could about diabetes and was doing very well controlling it. My A1C was 11 and I got it down to 6.5 I lost weight. Today I'm at 225 pounds and still working on it. The only problem I have with diabetes now is controlling it. I'm not doing everything that I should be. Just last week I was in the hospital again for Pancreatitis. I had my gallbladder removed and a hernia removed, which was caused from taking Invokana. I was told this by the doctors and was taking off it. My blood work showed that my A1C is at 8.5. So I need to get off my ass and get back on track, that is why I came here. Thanks for reading my story

GabbyPA 2016-01-24 11:43:00 -0600 Report

Good to have you here. A lot of us fall off the wagon along the way. I fall off frequently. But being here really keeps me on track. I get so much inspiration and encouragement from the members here. We are here for you.

Frankmochrie 2016-01-24 14:27:27 -0600 Report

Yeah I get lazy and just eat what I want and then feel bad after I do. So now I'm working on getting back on track and I'm glad you are all here to help. Thank You

tkaluzny 2016-01-18 09:53:09 -0600 Report

I had a feeling that I may be diabetic, because I had three brothers that had it. When I was informed by my dr. that I had type 2 diabeties,I was in total denial. I had been eating green bean and lean, but once in a while I would have pizza or lasagna. And I would feel bad..I finally made the conecction. Being a diabetic is really hard especially when you have well meaning individuals always trying to fix you. I have learned to realize everyone reacts to their diabeties differently. I just pray for us all to understand ourselves and learn from our eating mistakes. Blessings.to all

doughgirl240 2016-01-17 00:09:00 -0600 Report

I was getting severe yeast infections which I normally didn't get. I went to the gynecologist thinking the worst and she asked me what I thought it was and I told her and she laughed and said you are diabetic. So actually it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Luis65 2016-01-14 18:45:25 -0600 Report

I was 42 and fat working the midnight shift. One night I was having vision problems. I couldn't get the numbers on our equipment bays to come clear. It passed after a couple of hours and I forgot all about it. The next night the same thing happened and it did not clear up.

I made it to the doctor's office and my doc was out, and the ophthalmologist was in surgery. The finally had some other doc look at me and he was clueless. Fortunately the eye doc freed up. He said that my vision was 50/20 with my glasses and he could write me a perscription, but, but, he said get a fasting blood test for sugar that this is a classic symptom of diabetes. Something about the high sugar in the blood drawing fluid from the eyes causing them to sag.

Scared I did what he said and my fasting BG was 550. I was on a learning curve from then until now.

millerje 2016-01-13 23:17:13 -0600 Report

The day before my son turned 21 he was severely ill. We ended up in the ER. He turned 21 in the hospital and found out he had type 1 diabetes. A week later he was released and I was scared and confused. My son took it like a champ and said that at least half the people in the hospital would gladly trade diagnosis with him. So I hit the internet and read everything I could possibly find. Some days are really easy but others are a struggle. But we are only four months into this so we still have things to learn. Thanks to all of you and these sites, it helps to know this is totally manageable.

Karen with LADA
Karen with LADA 2016-01-24 12:16:37 -0600 Report

Thank you for this. "at least half the people in the hospital would gladly trade diagnosis with him."
I was diagnosed at age 51 and have had this 2.5 years.

WASHED OUT 2016-01-24 12:40:08 -0600 Report

Hello Karen, you are so correct. My doctors think I may be LADA as well, we keep chasing my blood glucose reading with different medicines. I also have several other autoimmune things going on as well, none of which are fun. So far my pancreas is still operating at some degree just barely in the normal range, but as I lose beta cells that will change. I am about the fifth in my family that I know of that has become diabetic and all of them started as being treated as type 2 and ended up a type 1.5 or dependent on insulin. Extreme highs and extreme lows go with this in my family. I have been researching LADA and looking for more information on it, do you have any ideas where to find it? I take 2000 mg metformin each day, Tradjenta 5 mg, Lantus and Novolog flexpens. I check my BG a minimum of 4 times a day.

Langstnewf 2016-01-13 22:53:07 -0600 Report

I found out when I applied for life insurance and was declined for my blood sugar readings. I was floored, but after thinking about it I had all the signs. They creep up on you. Wish I had gone for blood work more often. I may have been able to stop this before it turned into diabetes. I am Type 2.

Ivy Justice
Ivy Justice 2016-01-12 12:30:47 -0600 Report

I'm type 2 diabetic.I have a new doctor . She is wonderful. She explains things to me and makes me feel good. She doesn't just prescribe pills first. I'm now taking a high cholesterol pill and a 81 mg. low dose aspirin .She upped my high blood pressure medicine. I'm to continue with my exercise routine.I' m feeling positive things will get better.

Pegsy 2016-01-10 18:33:23 -0600 Report

My mother was a poorly controlled diabetic. I knew all the symptoms and myseries. When I began to display symptoms, very frequent urination in particular, I went to the drug store and purchased a meter and test strips. My first reading was 381. I was in shock. I was in denial. I was terrified! I immediately began researching how to control diabetes with diet and exercise. I instantly made radical changes to my diet, began exercising like a maniac and lost a lot of weight. My numbers came way down but not enough. A year after my self diagnosis I saw a doctor in order to be put on medication. I have pretty good control now but wish with all my heart that I could get better control without meds. So far, that just isn't happening.

My biggest struggle was emotional. It is probably still my biggest struggle. I fear complications. I fear suffering an early, miserable death. I am learning to accept the way things are but I will never be complacent about it. I will always be learning and working to stay as healthy as I possibly can for as long and I can.

GabbyPA 2016-01-11 08:48:00 -0600 Report

Your story sounds a lot like my own. Fear can be a motivator to do right, but I bet you can know that you are doing so much better than before diagnosis and allow yourself a little pat on the back.

Ladybellecambridge@gmail.com 2016-01-09 21:03:08 -0600 Report

I was on my own and treated as if it was my fault and sent on my way I have a much better dr now thankfully I also have a lot of other medical conditions, Chronic Pancreatitis, Asthma, Arthritis, Fibormyalgia, High Blood pressure and cholesterol as well as Epilepsy it has more of a impact on my life

GabbyPA 2016-01-10 16:13:08 -0600 Report

I am glad you have a better doctor now, specially with so many things on your plate. I could not even begin to imagine how complicated all of that must be.

Ladybellecambridge@gmail.com 2016-01-10 16:55:55 -0600 Report

I have good days and bad days, the biggest thing has been so many food's have had to be given up it is kinda annoying at times, the epilepsy has restricted a lot of what I can and can't do it's been so much of an aggrevation that I tend to forget about all the other medical issues they do rear their ugly head's every so often cause some trouble and annoience I just deal with it all as best as I can.

WASHED OUT 2016-01-10 17:39:27 -0600 Report

Bless your heart, so many of us grumble about our diets and things, but you have truly had such a rough time of trying to balance many things. Keep a chin up because you certainly could teach others how to handle things. Your determination and spirit has gotten you through this thus far and I am sure it will endure through the end. Best of luck to you, bless you.

suecsdy 2016-01-09 12:54:42 -0600 Report

I think being dxd while in the hospital and so ill with other things made it easier to deal with the dx. I didn't have to think about it much…they told the kitchen what kind of diet I needed and if I ordered something not allowed, they just told me I couldn't have it. I already felt so bad, I didn't care. And of course they tested me several times a day and brought me insulin. Once I left the hospital, it got hard. I had no clue as to what I needed to do. The Home Health Care nurse was great…a really nice woman and she was able to give me lots of good advice. She even brought me a diabetic cookbook. I was staying with my daughter though and I couldn't expect the whole family to change their eating habits for me. I was lucky enough to find DC while I was still there and it was a HUGE help. I made real progress once I was back in my own home though.. I didn't have a problem giving up potatoes and rice because they weren't a big part of my diet to start. Pasta was a little harder as some of my favorite meals included pasta. By far the biggest give was bread..in any form. I still miss it even after a year and am fortunate that the occassional sandwich or dinner roll doesn't send the bg soaring. I must have done something right because since last March, My A1c has been under 6. I honestly don't know how it got there so fast and was really surprised to see it. I still hate having diabetes, but am beginning to lose my fear of food now…a possibly dangerous road to travel. Eating is still hard, but more because I am alone and don't always want to eat when I should. Anyway, I'm sure some of you are in the same leaky boat as I am. just trying to bail fast enough to keep afloat.

WASHED OUT 2016-01-09 22:15:17 -0600 Report

I know about that testing thing, the drew out so much blood every few hrs, I thought they were feeding the vampires in the basement. You already can't hardly sleep because of all the wires, IV's and when you do get a nap they wake you up for something or to give you a sleeping pill. Draw more blood and take b/p and then leave again. I was on heart monitor as well.

suecsdy 2016-01-10 05:10:54 -0600 Report

I felt like I hardly slept at all in the hospital. When I went home with my daughter I was so happy to just sleep without interruption. They would get me all tucked in snug at night( in hospital), and then give me pain meds which made me feel hot and I couldn't get myself unwrapped to cool off. The nursing staff were great, but that hospital stay was less than stellar for me.

WASHED OUT 2016-01-10 17:51:12 -0600 Report

Each time I have landed there, you could buy a house from the amount of the Bill. I am still making payments for my part and that so far has been well over a year ago. I should be getting close to getting it paid off. I Certainly hope nothing else happens.

Type1Lou 2016-01-09 10:18:12 -0600 Report

I was 27 and working in a relatively high-stress supervisory position. I began to experience excessive thirst and frequent urination (getting up at night every 10 minutes to void my bladder) and lost 13 pounds in the space of 2 weeks going from 120 to 107 pounds. When I saw the doctor, I suspected what my diagnosis would be since my Dad was diabetic and had literature around the house with the symptoms of diabetes. After the glucose tolerance test, my fears were confirmed and I started using insulin. Because, as a child, I had seen my Dad inject and test his BG every morning, I think it was easier for me to accept what I needed to do. This was back in 1976 (Dad had died in 1974 after 20 years with diabetes).

GabbyPA 2016-01-09 11:44:18 -0600 Report

Having family dealing with it helped me kind of "get it" as well. I am the last in my family to be diagnosed with it so I saw all kinds of ways of dealing with it. My dad was awesome. He just did what he needed to do. My brother was the complete opposite until he got married and had a kid. Then he kind of got on board. My mom does well with it, but our bodies work so differently, it was hard for me to follow what she does because it doesn't work for me.

nanabanana40 2016-01-09 08:40:22 -0600 Report

Hello all!. When i went in for my blood work i didn't think much of it. I had an infection that didn't heal quickly and it did cross my mind of that being odd, cause i had always healed quickly, hardly ill, and bounced back. My slow healing infection prompted the doctor to test me for diabetes. She the doc asked how I'd been feeling and i replied tired and fatigue but attributed it to work, stress, family and school. Well after 3 days while at work i received a a message on my phone. It was doc saying " Anna, your A1c is a 10.7 , you have diabetes, call the clinic because you need to come in asap to the clinic." honestly i was in shock, started to cry at work, and thought death sentence. Went to clinic a couple hours after work and doc went over results. Explained what the numbers meant, A1c confirming diabetes, liver enzymes high, and extremely low Vit D levels. They made prescriptions of what i needed. Explained to me how to take meds, showed me how to to test my glucose at home, explained a change of lifestyle reducing carbs no refined carbs, no no white starches including pasta potatoes sugar even no grapes no bananas. It was extremely over whelming in the clinic that morning. During the visit i cried and did a lot of self blaming. My doc heard me and even consoled me with a hug and an empathetic ear. She was very encouraging because she told its the positive was it was caught early and treatment can begin now and she also said what i had going for me was that my BP was great and my cholesterol was awesome and even the good ones were.high. She told me they will walk every step with me. My husband is my support system and was there with me. I'm very blessed to have really good docs.

GabbyPA 2016-01-09 09:08:10 -0600 Report

You have a great keeper doc for sure. That is great that she had that empathy for you. It's a hard diagnosis to get for sure. Having someone with you really does lighten the load. I know after my lone visit, for a long time I took my husband with me to all of my appointments because he gave me the support I needed to be more insistent with my doctor.

Mando_Lynn 2016-01-08 23:00:10 -0600 Report

I had just moved back home to GA and had not found a new doc yet. Was forced to finally find one when, after about 4 months of increasingly bad headaches and Advil around the clock was no longer effective, had to see a doc.

My BP came in at 210/something equally as bad. While there she also did a prick. She asked me if I had diabetes (my sugar was 235) and I said that both my parents did but I've been doing everything I possibly can to prevent it and I didn't think I was. She told me it didn't work and I was diabetic. I said, "Well, shit!"

She said "I usually tell my diabetic patients to lose weight, stop eating so much, and get active but that doesn't apply to you. Let's put you on BP meds, get those headaches to go away and hope your numbers come down."

I was diagnosed at 6.5 and after three months on BP meds the a1c went to 5.9 and has stayed there un-budging for over a year.

Looking back I may have been diabetic for years. When I would go to the doc (the usual once a year only cause I was young and healthy) the blood taken for labs was always a fasting. My fasting numbers are always fine. So no alarm bells were ever triggered in my yearly blood work. When I would tell my previous doctors about both my parents and could they test me, they always said no because I wasn't over 45, overweight, or sedentary. Without risk factors present I would not be tested.

So, I guess I was irritated at my diagnosis because I thought I was on the right track.

GabbyPA 2016-01-09 08:25:57 -0600 Report

I think that the stereotype of diabetes causes a lot of people to not find out earlier. With a family history, I am surprised they were not giving you and A1c to make sure.

Mando_Lynn 2016-01-09 09:31:51 -0600 Report

I think the problem is that family history is not a great enough risk factor. In my opinion, it's the greatest risk factor. Docs want to think only the heavy and sedentary get it and you're ignored if you don't have those two risk factors.

Mallacai 2016-01-08 19:03:53 -0600 Report

In May of 2014 i was getting over the cold but was feeling out of it. Went to a doctor who checked my urine and pricked my finger (313 B/G PP ). I could not describe how i felt but he said i hate to be the one to tell you this but you are diabetic. All my symptoms began to make sense ( 4-5 trips to pee nightly, feeling lethargic etc ). To be honest it hit hard but i am one the goes into survival mode in emergency situations. He started telling me the do's and don't but i was looking past him out the window. He said Mr. Singh you don't have to get depressed over this you can live a normal life. I said no Dr, i am already thinking about the changes i have to make cause i don't want to go blind, lose a leg or worst of all D.K.D. to which he said he is happy to hear that. Went back to work and a member of staff asked why am i only reading stuff on diabetes and i said i have just been diagnosed. I thankfully found Diabetic Connect that day to my benefit. A month later showed up with a 2 hour PP under 100 and a HbA1c 6.4 and 15 lbs weight loss. He asked his nurse about my urine she said no glucose in it he asked "ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT?" He could not believe the changes. Today he says i don't have to give you advice as what to do about my health. Long story short i have never felt this good in years and my diagnosis stopped me on my way to self destruction. i don't have a perfect lifestyle but it's a whole lot better than pre diagnosis. My Mom always says God breaks your legs when your are running in the wrong direction. P.S. Giving up sweet stuff was easy ( ALL my teeth was extremely sweet ), reducing portion size not that tough but giving up white bread is tough. That's what causes me to go a bit higher. HbA1c since diagnosis between 4.8 to 5.2

GabbyPA 2016-01-09 08:29:35 -0600 Report

Having that mind set has to really help out. I know I was the same way...immediately purged the pantry and fridge. Got things moving fast. Does your doctor ever ask you how you are doing it? I think they miss opportunities to learn from successful patients.

Mallacai 2016-01-09 09:31:39 -0600 Report

I see a GP and he always says keep doing what i am doing as it's working ( heard him tell another doctor he was referring me to that i am the kind of patient a doctor would like to have as i know what i have to do and do it.) but he stresses on exercise as that uses up extra glucose in your blood stream.

Kalisiin 2016-01-08 21:24:11 -0600 Report

Sounds like you got this!
Great work! And great attitude. Kinda like mine, I pretty much went FULL NINJA from Day One on my diabetes, and it seems like you did, too.

familytime3 2016-01-08 08:43:50 -0600 Report

Because of new insurance, new dr., I needed a referral for a new hematologist, Dr. ran all sorts of blood tests, called and said everything is ok, your referral to hematology has been submitted. New hematologist says oh by the way you are pre-diabetic, 6.0, I say what are we going to do about it, and he says nothing you can do! I immediately began researching and started cutting carbs and am doing well. Hoped the new way of eating would help with my blood issues not related to diabetes, but has not. Double the stress and double the fight. On a good note my little boy and husband were recently sick back to back, one with a stomach virus and the other with that horrible cold that lasts for 3 weeks, I did not come down with either, and am giving credit to my diet and the grace of God for keeping me from it.

GabbyPA 2016-01-08 14:51:45 -0600 Report

Good lord...how can people say that there is nothing you can do. That is crazy. You may not be able to make it go away, but there certainly is a LOT you can do about it. I hope you show them just how much you CAN do...go girl.

calayx 2016-01-08 02:50:50 -0600 Report

I already knew what they were going to say. I had all the systems. So I was rather prepared for the news. My father was a diabetic, so this was not going to be a surprise.
My Dr told me the test results and I truly had no reaction ! It wasn't until I knew what I could eat, that I really got pissed off!

Kalisiin 2016-01-08 07:04:08 -0600 Report

I hear ya. I started off PISSED OFF over the stuff I could no longer have. I'm not anymore, I found other things I like and can have, to replace them.

I hope the same is true for you.

GabbyPA 2016-01-08 08:00:22 -0600 Report

I am changing my self talk in that. I word it this way now.
I "don't" eat that anymore. NOT, I "can't" eat that. It really does help me put myself in control of it more. Funny how just one word can change everything.

Kalisiin 2016-01-08 21:25:16 -0600 Report

Semantics can really change the way things feel. I like your way of thinking on this.

Truth is, there is not really much of anything we CAN'T have…in moderation…as long as we plan for it elsewhere.

Consueloj 2016-01-07 19:46:08 -0600 Report

I had gestational diabetes with my second daughter and was able to easily control it and even end up losing weight before dellivery. I was aware that having had GD my chances of becoming diabetic had vastly increased down the road. Well the road dumped me off on Diabetes Street in march 2015. I think I already knew by the symptoms I was experiencing. What pissed me off was that the lab tech burst into the exam room BEFORE the Doctor did- and exclaimed VERY LOUDLY with the door still open - "Did you know you're diabetic!" and he prattled off my numbers, He himself is on an insulin pump so I though about cutting him some slack - but the guy wouldnt shut up! Being me and instantly frightened at his lack of tact and scaring the crap outta me - well I LOUDLY told him "get the hell out of here and dont come back until you are a MD Smokey!" I called him Smokey because he puffed away on his ciggies between taking blood samples and reeked of smoke!
Once the doctor came in - well it was all downhill from there.
Smokey has since moved to Washington and the Doc and I are seeing more eye to eye. Because I insist.

GabbyPA 2016-01-08 08:02:24 -0600 Report

Good grief! That is very unprofessional. Sometimes I have to just wonder what bus they got off. I am glad things have worked out for you though.

Kalisiin 2016-01-08 07:06:18 -0600 Report

Good for you! I insist, too. More of us should.
Too many of us do not even know what questions to ask. I am hopeful this site can make a difference for some people in that area. Maybe we ought to do a topic about what questions to ask…and what answers to not accept.

momma cruz
momma cruz 2016-01-07 17:59:46 -0600 Report

I remember the day really clearly… and it was not that long ago
it was Nov 17, 2015

I went to the E.R because I was feeling pressure in my chest, hard time breathing, dizziness, blurred vision, feeling very lethargic, very unfocused and confused.

The year prior to that I was diagnosed w/ HBPressure :-( but that was on me because I lead a very sedentary lifestyle… {well I did before}

But when I went in this past Nov. I was really worried because this was my 3rd time in the hospital ER for the "somewhat" same heart issues. This time it was different.

Well after all the blood work was done the Dr. came in and she was just "brow punching" her conversation to me… 1st thing in my mind sarcastically was like "wow…what a great bed side manner" especially when you have no idea WTH is going on with you. Well after all the brow punching she says "well young lady your diabetic and your blood sugar is over 450." … I really did not know what to make of what she had just said I had a mini mental pity party at the moment she walked away…during this time I turned to see my husband and his whole demeanor had just changed… It was like he heard I had 3 months to live because I was dying…

So I had to put my pity party feelings aside for a moment and I had reached over to let him know and tell him "MIJO, TODO VA ESTAR BIEN…Dios es muy grande y nunca nos ha fallado" {translation: Babe, everything will be alright, God is so great and he has never let us down"} I told him to be and STAY POSITIVE.

Well after 3 day in the hospital I finally got out on the 20th of Nov and when I got home, everything that was processed food and junk food and etc… was all tossed out … Lots of fruits, veggies, lean meats, protein, poultry…

So being a 1.5 month veteran of Diabetes… I'm actually o.k…

I know this sounds weird but I really consider myself BLESSED to have this. This WAS/IS my wake up call to get my "CRAP" together. Back in 2014 I weighed 251 lbs. To date I weight 181 lbs. My goal is to get 125-130. I'm eating A LOT MORE healthier… I do not drink pop/soda, no sugary drinks except for water, honey, and lime juice.

I dont eat anything WHITE OR REFINED OR PROCESSED. I eat everything that has been made on this earth "NATURALLY" not genetically modified. That also goes for my meats, pork and poultry, I buy my meats, pork & poultry through this food coop that delivers directly to your car door {depending where they will be distributing…

I know each state and county has this… ..

So as of now I'm good. Yes I do have my ups and downs just like any normal person that has does not have diabetes.

I DO NOT AND WILL NOT use my DT2 diagnosis as a crutch or excuse. This is the lamest and the most messed up thing one can do…

Its not the end of the world… We can live the same way except now we have to adjust a few lifestyle things. Its all about EMBRACING & ACCEPTING.

I have been to my diabetic educator and she says most if not ALL diabetics feel a sense of depression, loss, almost like a "death" type feeling…I told her "Rita, Well I guess I'm not human and / or normal because I have not felt any of this "negative emotions" that a diabetic goes through" and to this day I still have not gone through them…

Like I said I've EMBRACED & ACCEPTED it and I know something can be done and WILL BE DONE. I got myself into this and I get myself out…

It is Funny because when you break up the syllable in DIABETES …most ppl say it as "Die-Uh-Beat-Us"…Well I can tell you right now together we can stand and not LET IT BEAT US, YOU OR ME.

Besides I can not let it get it my way of my business that I run from home…
I'm a 17 yr Avon veteran and all I can say is I'm truly blessed to have such awesome customers who understand what I'm going thru… Especially this past time when I went to the hospital on Dec. 20th and did not get out till Christmas eve…

I'm also an advocate to help ppl of all walks of life to get FREE RX cards at NO COST TO THEM…No matter what their income is they can still get one RX card or 5…it does not matter and I dont discriminate, I also help ppl get Discounted Health Insurance, I'm Tax Preparer of 30yrs.

But my best title that I love and am Blessed to have is Wife, Mom of 3 awesome beautiful children that 27, 26, {Today is her Birthday}, and 21 going to be 22 in March.

So you see… Yes this "disease" which is another word I HATE, is something that will be with us forever, but what are you going to do about it and how will you handle it?

Because what ever decision you make today WILL IMPACT your tomorrow.

nanabanana40 2016-01-10 13:16:06 -0600 Report

Love your positivity and trusting and knowing that God is always there and He'll see us throughout the journey. Very inspiring. You and i were diagnosed closely at the same time. I did do alot of self blaming, fear, anger, resentment, and just scared, afterwards it was time to get serious about my health and focus on my mind body and spirit. Working on myself especially diet, still got a ways to go, but i feel great all around especially my spirit now. I've always been an optimistic even about challenging stuff, the cheerleader for everybody else but honestly that day broke me, after grieving i became my cheerleader and realized the need to make myself a top priority because i have lots of life and zest to look forward to and knowing i need to be here for my children and future grand children. Credit to my diagnosis for a huge change in my awareness and being more proactive in better health. I like how said embracing and accepting which wasn't easy for me then but i have accepted with good grace. Have a beautiful day!

Dayfly 2016-01-09 03:31:49 -0600 Report

What a great attitude. I control my glucose with diet but hate having diabetes knowing all the complications that go with it. My dad died quit young from it.

momma cruz
momma cruz 2016-01-09 11:35:38 -0600 Report

Thank you Dayfly… and Yes… I truly feel your fear. This is what I fear the most…I know there are ppl that have lived years and year with Diabetes even up to their 90s and 100s… .. This is what I want and will try to do everything in my power to do so.

GabbyPA 2016-01-08 08:08:06 -0600 Report

I love your story. I love your attitude and determination. That is the kind of way to tackle it, head on. I know I always feel better about it when I know I am actually doing good for myself. You will be blessed and I hope you share many of your successes and routines with us so we can be inspired.

momma cruz
momma cruz 2016-01-08 20:06:44 -0600 Report

Absolutely… And I have to thank you and your partners who have public forums like this for all of to be on one safe community.

And of course I'll be sharing away also what has worked for me may hopefully help and inspire others

WASHED OUT 2016-01-07 20:45:29 -0600 Report

Sounds all to familiar , I was already on B/P medication and seeing a Heart doctor for 3 years after getting 3 heart stents. I went to work feeling kinda crappy to begin with, I knew that I was having trouble concentrating and just couldn't focus on things. After a little while in the office I began getting dizzy or lightheaded while having chest pains not terribly bad at that time but I knew things were not good. Fearing that something might happen I told the only other person in our office so that she would know about this. She went off and said you need to go down the road to the clinic right now, we don't want you stroking out on us here. I agreed, Okay I will go to the clinic. While on my way things got considerably worse and upon entering at their desk there is a sign that states, " If you are experiencing chest pains, dizziness and shortness of breath , please tell our Staff immediately. " Well I did tell them, and they stand looking at one another and tell me you will have to go to the Hospital we can't treat you here. I leave walk back to the parking lot and drive myself 5 miles down the road to the Hospital ER, park my car and walk in and tell them. This time they wheel a wheelchair under me and promptly push me into a room or stall. They take my B/P and it is highly elevated something like 210 over something else. I tell them who my heart Doctor is and they are on the phone with some of his staff. They shave holes in my chest hair scrub me with sand paper and run an EKG. That shows there is a problem, and they give me nitroglycerin. they drew blood to test and to lab. After a few minutes things were easing up I wasn't in such distress as before and my B/P began to get better. The Doctor came in and told me, that my blood sugar was also 450 or something. They were going to send me to the next County Hospital where my Heart Doctors group was on call, and that I had to go by Ambulance. A few months before this I had surgery on my knee and had taken cortisone injections in my knee 3 times before the surgery. I also had a bad back and had taken a series of spinal cortisone injections in my lower back. To shorten this a bit I spent another three days in the Hospital undergoing several test as well as a cardiac stress test. Conclusion was my liver and kidneys were malfunctioning, my blood sugar was extremely high and I had become diabetic, and these were placing my heart in stress and that I may have averted a stroke or another heart attack. Yes, I do remember that day at least for the most part. That morning I had drank my coffee with cream and sugar and eat a Honey Bunn on the way to work. Drank more coffee with sugar after getting there. To many cortisone injections along with the anti inflammatory medicines I had taken for 20 years for arthritis and the uncontrolled diabetes had taken it toll and damaged my liver, kidneys, heart, and nerves in feet and legs. So my heart Doctor told me and since is was a truck driver suggested that it may be time to give up my job as I could no longer pass a DOT physical. I said that I wasn't old enough to retire, he said then I should be disabled and that he had talked to the doctor who did my knee surgery and back injections and they all agreed, I should file for my disability at the Social Security office. I did after being let go from my employer, and the SSD office determined I was disabled the day after my last day working, I received my first check at the beginning of the seventh month. My A1C has gone from 12.5 to 6 and I have lost about 50 lbs and counting. I am on the LCHF diet and fast at least 2 times a week. Was on Insulin worked my way off insulin and have since had to go back on it. The test they did on my pancreas insulin test showed I was borderlined to being bad or may be progressing to a type 1.5 from the type 2 that I started from.
I guess they didn't want me driving a Bomb, a large commercial vehicle loaded with liquid propane under my current health problems. Can't say as I blame them.

momma cruz
momma cruz 2016-01-08 20:13:54 -0600 Report

Wow…I'm so glad you here WASHED OUT … Yes this is basically what happened to me… my A1C was at an 11 but this past week with my daily averages they had determined it was about an 8. they said my goal is about a 7 or 6 …Still learning about all the "diabetical jargon"

WASHED OUT 2016-01-09 22:18:47 -0600 Report

My A1C is now at 6 , anytime you have a question about the jargon just ask. myself or this group will gladly explain it.

Kalisiin 2016-01-08 21:27:02 -0600 Report

LOL, I like that…diabetical jargon. Sounds a little bit like "diabolical" I am using that…with your permission, of course!

Welcome to DC!

Kalisiin 2016-01-07 19:03:05 -0600 Report

Gotta friend you. You are so awesome! Like you, I consider my diabetes a blessing…it was my wake-up call to get my "caca" together.

I am now healthier than I have been since high school. I have lost just over 115 pounds so far, still got another 40 I want to lose.

But I say it "Die - Uh - Beat - Ease"

Oh, hey, wow…just noticed you are from Illinois! I am originally from there as well, but I am now in North Carolina.

momma cruz
momma cruz 2016-01-08 20:04:25 -0600 Report

ROFLMAO!!!! Anyone who uses the word "CACA" HAS to be my friend…sure…I'll friend you Kalisiin

Kalisiin 2016-01-08 21:28:47 -0600 Report

Oh, I speak Español…un poquito! Most of what I know is the sort of stuff that will get you beat up in the barrio, but, hey…
I actually can read Spanish better than I can speak it, because I can't really THINK in Spanish, LOL.

Martc27 2016-01-07 16:17:35 -0600 Report

I was 12 and had been very active in sports, I thought I was just dropping weight because of playing so hard. But I had gotten the flu and it never got better. I lost 20 pounds in about a week. My parents rushed me to the emergency room. I lost all my fat and muscle I was basically bones. I was tested about 800. I was in DKA. The doctor said I was a day away from dying. I took it in stride I'm a type one diabetic so I have an insulin pump. I test ten times a day. My average A1C is 6.0-6.4. I love taking care of my body!! People don't usually believe I have diabetes unless I test in front of them. My mom was and is my rock she made me be strong and face diabetes head on. I love her so much and I'm a better diabetic because of her. And I want to help others!! And be a mentor!! Diabetes is hard. When I was in the hospital when I was first diagnosed (first and last time in the hospital ever!) I was across the room from a cancer patient. Let me tell you something I rather be a diabetic anyday. You can fight it and you can win. We are blessed!!

GabbyPA 2016-01-08 08:13:10 -0600 Report

Moms are awesome! Mine was my guide as well for a long time. She helped me not be afraid, but like you, to just jump in and do what you need to do.

I do agree, I will take diabetes over cancer any day! I just spent a year and a half helping a friend of mine get her daughter through a very rare cancer that required a bone marrow transplant. Lots of ups and downs. But like your mom, my friend helped her daughter take it head on and they both left the doctors in awe. Moms rule!

Next Discussion: A reminder »