AliceK - 53860
By AliceK - 53860 Latest Reply 2010-07-20 20:53:15 -0500
Started 2009-07-29 11:45:04 -0500

How do you live on small social security check—no insurance and deal with diabetics? I am living from home to home of relatives—unable to purchase test equipment due to payment for storage of my personal items, car insurance and food and phone. With no insurance-I must pay doctor full charge for visits—thank goodness for Walmart and their generic drug plan.

11 replies

mbenedict 2010-07-20 20:53:15 -0500 Report

when money is the issue and need help with insulin pens and pen needles go to you dr and ask about the assistance plan if you meet the income guidlines you can get the insulin for free along with the needles there is paperwork that needs to be filed along with a tax return but they do send you a 3 month supply to your dr office every year you will need to submit the application but it makes life without insurance a bit easier

Judi62 2009-07-30 14:19:04 -0500 Report

I found this site online. It's a directory of free clinics in Florida. You may need to paste it in your browser. I hope it helps. I know what it is like to be without insurance.

My heart goes out to you and others in the same situation. Don't give up. There is help out there. People do care.

Hugs to you, Judi

mamaoak 2009-07-30 12:49:52 -0500 Report

i read this and it breaks my heart ican not give any answer except all i can do is pray that things get better for you. it is such an awfull situation .wish i knew what to tell you take care of your self dont give up there is light at the end of the tunell. hugs

lipsie 2009-07-30 04:07:05 -0500 Report


I am so sorry for whatcha are going thru. I really don't have the answers for you but wanted to say I support you and am here for you, hugs! Sheila

apanda 2009-07-29 19:22:48 -0500 Report

Alice, I copied and pasted this from one of my posts way back. I hope this information might be of some use to you. The site is easy to navigate. Just go in and fill out your information and it will tell you immmediately if you qualify for free or reduced cost medications.

"This organization works with a lot of the pharmaceutical companies to provide free medication to those that are unable to afford it. It is based on your annual income and ability to pay. You must meet certain specified criteria, but you don't have to jump thru hoops for help if you qualify.
They have a website but it differs from state to state. Here is the toll free number you can call and they can point you to the right website or help you by phone.

1-888-4PPA-NOW (1-888-477-2669)

Best of luck."

2009-07-30 08:48:56 -0500 Report

I had forgotten that I had used this service at one time, before I got my insurance taken care of. It was really helpful, and I was able to get medications at no cost.

Ms.B2 2009-07-29 13:41:09 -0500 Report

Oh Alice I know how you feel. I know in my home town they have a wonderful Good Smaertain Hospital where the doctor's & nurses volunter their time and send you to specialist that also give their services pro bono if you need one. I think maybe the Health Dept. or Senior Center would be able to direct you or would be a good place to start. I know I tried to file myself and even with all of my condition's I don't quallify for any kind of assistance with insurance or paying medical bills. Maybe the adds on TV for attorney's to help would be worth it even if they do get a lg. chunck of it, at least they get it started. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.
Always Lucie

2009-07-29 12:17:36 -0500 Report

Are you not eligible for Medicare? Also, sometimes the doctors will give you samples of medications instead of you having to get prescriptions. The same goes for some drug companies. They have plans where you can get free medications. Try going to your local Sr. Center and asking them for help. Or your local Health Dept.

AliceK - 53860
AliceK - 53860 2009-07-29 12:58:41 -0500 Report

Not eligible for Medicare due to age—only 63. Dr is not happy due to the fact that I have no insurance. Tried social services here in FL—due to amount of socical security—877 not eligible for services—food stamps equal 16 a month.

2009-07-29 13:02:10 -0500 Report

I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know of any other suggestions to give you. Hopefully, someone else on this site will be able to come up with some ideas for you. Sorry. I wish you the best.

Vicrgreen 2009-08-09 00:48:16 -0500 Report

Are you on disability? That makes a big difference. If you aren't maybe you should try to get on it. Most states are mandated to provide Medicaid, by whatever name it goes by in the individual state, to those on Social Security Disability or SSI.

I can relate to living on a minimal income, mine is about $1000/mo, but as I am considered disabled my medical is covered and I just qualified for Medicare.

My husband was only 48 when he was injured in an on-the-job accident and subsequently disabled, he was able to qualify for Medicare early due to the disabiltiy. You might find it worth your while to check it out.