Daughter just diagnosed last week

By Exprezzo Latest Reply 2015-01-29 20:42:30 -0600
Started 2015-01-28 18:41:32 -0600

My 8 year old had DKA and was hospitalized for a few days and (obviously) diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Her blood sugar is still always high and she is showing trace ketones. Her ratio started at 1:15 and now it's 1:12, but still no improvement on her numbers. Is this normal?

5 replies

Exprezzo 2015-01-29 10:40:17 -0600 Report

Yes. We have had two meetings with her endocrinologist and dietician. She is eating no more than 60 carbs per meal and snacks average around 20 carbs. We are giving her tons of protein (chicken and tuna), she hasn't had any candy, cakes, pop, etc.) We check her 5 times a day. Last night her blood sugar was 344. I checked it 4 hours later and it was 285. I gave her one unit to help correct it and her blood sugar was 290 this morning.

jayabee52 2015-01-29 20:42:30 -0600 Report

That sounds good. Sometimes it takes a little time to get the BG going in the right direction.

OH. and I don't want to discourage you, but once things get under control with her once she enters puberty, her hormones get all screwed up and the BG levels do too.

But first things first.

Type1Lou 2015-01-29 10:02:24 -0600 Report

It takes time to determine the correct carb to insulin ratio that works…every individual is different. I'm assuming that you are working with an endocrinologist and they are having you submit blood glucose records, probably weekly? How often are you testing her BG? Have any modifications been made to what and how much she is eating?

jayabee52 2015-01-29 01:26:26 -0600 Report

Howdy Exprezzo

To have numbers that high I am wondering what she is eating? If she is eating "simple carbs" (which is usual for children that age) you need to try to get her to eat "complex carbs" for more on this see ~ http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/artic...

It would also be good for your daughter to eat protein like meat, eggs, fish, peanut butter, and nuts of all kinds. Have your endo (I am taking for granted you have one) to refer you to a Registered Dietician (RD) to work out how many carbs she could/should have in a day.

I believe that once you get her eating under control, her numbers will come down.

God's best to you and yours

Next Discussion: Confrontation »