Doctors note

By Autyhints Latest Reply 2015-01-22 00:43:03 -0600
Started 2015-01-21 08:51:21 -0600

I work in fast food and they have me closing almost every night again. When I worked days my sugar was better and I had more of a schedule and routine to me day. Now that I'm working at night again I am up until three or four in the morning, I hardly eat and I sled more than anything. My sugars have gone all wonky again and my drive to do anything about it I out the window.
So my question is can my doctor actually in writing make it so that I can't work regularly the closing shift. Because of health issues. I know I have to talk yo him but I don't like my doctor and he makes me feel stupid when I ask him these kinds of questions. So a little onsite would be appreciated so I can make the dreaded appt with my horrible doctor.

6 replies

lilleyheidi 2015-01-22 00:43:03 -0600 Report

You shouldn't be afraid to talk to your doctor, but from what you said, I understand living in a small town, I do also. I'd make the appt and ask him. You have every right under ADA to have your needs met, although as James said, it may be a fight. Although, a lot of employees don't want to fight it and are just going to want to take the doctors note and your word and give you the schedule. I say go for it. I really hope things work out for you, please keep us posted on this. Heidi

Autyhints 2015-01-21 13:02:06 -0600 Report

Thanks. the problem with finding a new doctor is that I live in a small town in the upper peninsula of Michigan and they are hard to come by in general let alone an Endo. I mean my doctor is world renown doctor but he is old and has way too many patience… he didn't remember putting me on the pump… for the second time. so the search is long and difficult. Hopefully ill succeed eventually:)

YankeeGirl78 2015-01-21 12:57:59 -0600 Report

Auty… Sounds like you may need a new doctor too. You should have have to dread going to the doctor because of how he is going to make you feel. I'll be praying about your work too. My Mom, had a similar situation, and her doctor wrote her a note and it worked for her.

jayabee52 2015-01-21 10:33:16 -0600 Report

Howdy Auty
You can ask. Your Dr may be able to request a change in your work hours in accordance with the American with Disabilties Act (ADA) "reasnable accomodation" work place rules for disabled people. Recently Diabetes was recognized as a valid disability under the ADA. So it might get you better hours.

Of course, the ADA provisions do not have real teeth for those employers who ignore it, so if you go that route, you may have to be willing to sue your boss to gain your rights under the ADA. You'll need to speak to a lawyer who knows the ADA to get further information on that.

Praying you'll succeed with getting your hours changed and your BG better regulated