No insurance, no healthcare

Doctor B
By Doctor B Latest Reply 2014-11-08 09:22:49 -0600
Started 2014-11-04 11:29:22 -0600

I have lived with type 2 diabetes for over a decade, but I have been lucky to have good healthcare which allowed me to monitor and respond to my condition. Recently, because of 4 surgeries to remove most of my large intestine, I became temporarily unable to work at my job as a college professor. My husband got laid off from his job about the same time. Long story short, we relocated to Missouri, where I am not currently eligible for medicaid, and we are both unemployed. I was able to get some assistance to acquire insulin through a health program and that is the good news. Unfortunately, even routine check ups and test strips are beyond our financial abilities right now. Does anyone know where diabetics can turn when they have no healthcare or financial resources in Missouri? Are there others of you out there fighting this same battle?

8 replies

Anonymous 2014-11-08 09:22:49 -0600 Report

I hope you receive help soon. It is harder without insurance but talk to your doctor for some suggestions.

tabby9146 2014-11-07 09:09:48 -0600 Report

I am sorry for your situation and there isn't anything I can add to what has already been said. I hope you get all the help you need soon.

Just Joyce
Just Joyce 2014-11-06 21:02:55 -0600 Report

Contact the manufacturer of you medication to see if they have coupons for reduced cost or will give it to you free. Under Obamacare, you should be eligible for Medicaid. I wasn't eligible for 2 years until Obamacare came online. I used prescription cards for medication and saved money for doctors visits.

Contact your Congressman's local office and see if they can get you the help you need to get medicaid. Contact your local health department to see if there are any programs that will help you. Good luck.

lou2u 2014-11-06 13:23:45 -0600 Report

Try thru the local hospital. Check into their diabetic programs. Our hospital will provide diabetics with a meter and supplies. No charge.
They also offer classes to make life a little easier

robinsab 2014-11-05 19:17:44 -0600 Report

Hi doctor
My sincerest positive hopes that your situation gets better soon! I know that if you call the direct companies that supply the supplies, such as lilly for insulin or one touch for test strips, they will often work with people in sensitive financial situations. I also would try eBay or Amazon for such things as test strips because sometimes they are cheaper. A pharmacist today at cvs told me they just came out with their own test strip version of 100-count of test strips for less than $20. I hope this little bit of information is helpful and I cross my fingers for you that things start looking up for you!

MaxieFo 2014-11-05 08:59:08 -0600 Report

Hi Doctor,
I am sorry to hear about your situation. Have you tried getting some type of medical assistance through the Department of Social Services? I know there are a lot of individuals who prefer not to use them during difficult times (myself included) but, that is one of the purposes of the agency. Of course there are certain requirements that will have to be met to qualify. Here is a link if you are interested

I hope you get the assistance you need.

Prayers & Blessings

jayabee52 2014-11-04 13:45:17 -0600 Report

Howdy Dr B
I am sorry to learn of your dire straights as a couple. How are you making ends meet for now? Do you have any children in your home?

When first Dx'd with kidney disease I went through a rough patch in my life similar to what you are now experiencing, I could not qualify for Medicaid myself because I had too much money in my retirement fund and I couldn't qualify until I spent it all down. Because I had End stage renal disease I was automatically put on Soc Sec Disability and on Medicare.

Eventually I had to declare bankruptcy due to all the medical bills from the time I had no med insurance. .

You might wish to contact a Lawyer who will take a social security and medicare case on a contingency basis.

I also looked up assistance programs for MO and got the following list of responses ~ You may wish to sort through those and see if anything is applicable to you.

You may also wish to look into your county health district and see if they might have a free or sliding scale clinic there or nearby to which you may be referred. Since I don't know where in MO you happen to be I queried Google and got this list of responses ~

I pray improving health for you

Doctor B
Doctor B 2014-11-04 14:25:11 -0600 Report

Thank you so much for the links. I will pursue them. There are no children in our home…I am 57. My kids are grown and have kids of their own (thank goodness). We spent all my retirement fund on a very modest home, so at least we can be assured of a roof over our heads. I appreciate your reply and your concern.

Next Discussion: Double Diabetes? »