gastic bypass surgery

shirl914
By shirl914 Latest Reply 2009-05-05 05:37:53 -0500
Started 2009-04-25 06:04:36 -0500

I am interested in GBPS - I would love to hear anything…good or bad. I am trying to get assistance with it through my insurance and have had some problems. any suggestions, ideas, thoughts would be greatly appreciated…


10 replies

dyanne
dyanne 2009-05-03 00:51:58 -0500 Report

Hi I would love to speak to you more about surgery, I plan on having soon. Can you get me privately on this site , I meant to say you can if you would like and I would love to see your pictures !!!! Thanks
dyanne

shirl914
shirl914 2009-05-05 05:37:53 -0500 Report

Hey!

Guess what! I found another gastric bypass surgeon in the area…Well I kinda already saw this guy once, I went to a seminar he put on about 1 1/2 years ago. I called and got a consult with him for May 19th!- He uses Optifast or Optimed or something like that (it's a liquid diet) so I'm hoping that he'll help me with the last 14 or so lbs to get ready for surgery! I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed. I also found a possible way to help pay for the 20% cost I have to pay, also through his office. Best news I've heard in awhile. I'm really jazzed!

nursienicole
nursienicole 2009-05-02 13:39:05 -0500 Report

I had gastric bypass this February after having had a lap band about a year ago. The lap band was helpful with weight loss but unfortunately my body kept rejecting the material in the port and it had to be removed. Overall, after both surgeries I have lost almost 100 lbs. I have a goal of about 50 more but I can tell you I feel great. I am participating in sports that I was never able to before. My insulin requirements have been more than reduced by half. I no longer need CPAP at night and I don't wheeze walking up my stairs. It hasn't been an easy road but one worth the journey. I would recommend it if you are serious about getting healthier and I would do it again in a second. Be prepared for a huge change in your lifestyle but again, well worth it.I am hear if you have any questions, or if you want to see before and after photos.

shirl914
shirl914 2009-05-05 03:36:57 -0500 Report

Hey thanks for the input- I would love pix! I have my first consultation on May 19th - Well actually I went to a seminar by this doctor 1 1/2 years ago…but I'm going to see if he can help me loose the pesky 10-15 lbs I need to lose so my Insurance will help pay for the surgery. I think he'll use Optifast to get me there…keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

dyanne
dyanne 2009-04-27 02:03:12 -0500 Report

Hi if you would like to get in touch with me privately I may be able to help. I also have done research for about 5 years also. I do plan on doing it but it is a newer procedure. It takes a bit to explain. I will be happy to explain all I know.
dyanne

shirl914
shirl914 2009-04-27 02:48:27 -0500 Report

Dyanne,

I would LOVE to contact you about this! I need all the help I can get, this is so frustrating at times. my personal email is shirl914@yahoo.com- small any help would be greatly appreciated! Look forward to hearing from you.

Shirl

dyanne
dyanne 2009-04-29 00:36:55 -0500 Report

Shirl do u get my private mail I sent through the site?? I hope so. Let me know in case I did something wrong.
hugs dyanne

2009-04-25 11:30:23 -0500 Report

The best advice I can give you is this: get a good surgeon, follow instructions completely, study the pros and cons of the surgery. I'm sure your dr. has information to give you that tells you the good and bad side effects. And remember, if you have the surgery, you CANNOT eat the same amount of food as you did prior to surgery. Think things thru, research all avenues, and with the help of your family and your dr. make a well educated decision as to this is the way you want to go. The surgery does work, but as in all surgeries, there are risks. Hope I have helped you some. I have had experience in this situation, so I do know of which I speak, but I am NOT an expert. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

shirl914
shirl914 2009-04-26 05:51:11 -0500 Report

thanks,mary I appreciate your input- I have been researching this for about 5 years now. I finally have an insurance that will pay for about 80% of the cost of surgery- it's the other 20% I'm worried about- most Drs. want all the money up front…sigh…I'll keep looking Thanks though!

2009-04-26 10:04:10 -0500 Report

Some drs in my area will put their patients on a sliding payment scale. Have you ever asked about that?

Next Discussion: qusition »