Type 2 diabetes

last of the red hot grandmas
By last of the red hot grandmas Latest Reply 2014-08-08 12:12:04 -0500
Started 2014-08-06 10:19:00 -0500

I was diagnosed with Type 2 in May at the E.R. I had some surgery and was hospitalized for days. I check my blood sugar twice a day and take my prescribed oral medications. What is the AC1 and how do I determine that? Does you PCP follow you for diabetes or do you see a specialist? Mine said. "See you in the fall." I am learning things on this site and am grateful to all of you.

9 replies

Glucerna 2014-08-07 17:13:22 -0500 Report

You've received excellent information already, and I'm glad you posted a question here. Most hospitals have a diabetes education program, and you can contact them directly to find out about classes and even physicians who specialize in diabetes in your area. ~Lynn @Glucerna

jayabee52 2014-08-06 20:35:23 -0500 Report

Howdy "Last"

If your PCP said to me: "See you in the fall." You could bet that s/he would be replaced by another PCP and then "fired".

You might also wish to see an Endochrinologist ("Endo") who specializes in Diabetes and the pancreas. (There are Endos who focus on other glands in the endocrine system like the thyroid).

What Joyce and Tojo said about A1c was quite well stated

God's best to you

last of the red hot grandmas
last of the red hot grandmas 2014-08-07 11:57:07 -0500 Report

Thank you. I am currently looking for another PCP. We are new to the area. In the meantime, I can try to make an appointment for the A1C blood test. If this doctor doesn't want to do it, I will ask for a referral to an endocrinologist.Thank you again.

tojoluvr 2014-08-06 19:57:08 -0500 Report

my dr does the A1C blood test every 3 months. If you have insurance it is cheaper this way rather than buying the test yourself. Its a test marker that averages your blood over a period of about 3 months then "averages it out" to get a better idea of what your glucose is running on an average number.
below; By Mayo Clinic Staff
For someone who doesn't have diabetes, a normal A1C level can range from 4.5 to 6 percent. Someone who's had uncontrolled diabetes for a long time might have an A1C level above 8 percent.
For most people who have previously diagnosed diabetes, an A1C level of 7 percent or less is a common treatment target. Higher targets may be chosen in some individuals. If your A1C level is above your target, your doctor may recommend a change in your diabetes treatment plan. Remember, the higher your A1C level, the higher your risk of diabetes complications.

Here's how A1C level corresponds to average blood sugar level, in milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) and millimoles per liter (mmol/L):

A1C level Estimated average blood sugar level
5 percent 97 mg/dL (5.4 mmol/L)
6 percent 126 mg/dL (7 mmol/L)
7 percent 154 mg/dL (8.5 mmol/L)
8 percent 183 mg/dL (10.2 mmol/L)
9 percent 212 mg/dL (11.8 mmol/L)
10 percent 240 mg/dL (13.3 mmol/L)
11 percent 269 mg/dL (14.9 mmol/L)
12 percent 298 mg/dL (16.5 mmol/L)
13 percent 326 mg/dL (18.1 mmol/L)
14 percent 355 mg/dL (19.7 mmol/L)

Just Joyce
Just Joyce 2014-08-06 10:28:59 -0500 Report

You can read about A1C on this site http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/a1...

You should see an endocrinologist, a registered dietitian and attend a diabetes education class. My PCP follows my diabetes care and I manage 98% of it myself.

You can get a meter that test your A1C but I prefer to have the blood test every 3-6 months. I don't rely on a meter for that. I test my blood sugar every one or two days just to see where I am. My diabetes is in very good control so I test when I want to find out where I am or if I want to eat a sweet treat.

As a new diabetic, I would self educate. Many of us do that and I always make list of questions for my doctor who always is willing to answer them. i also do not take medical advice from anyone but my doctor. He is the only one with my full medical history. Good luck to you.

Next Discussion: Food Info source »