I just got these tips in a diabetes newsletter:
When you have diabetes, it may seem like you’re always hearing about what not to eat. Here’s some better news: tasty snack and dinner options that help you keep your carbs under control.
Eating the right amount of carbs spread out over the day helps keep glucose levels closer to normal. Along with getting regular exercise and taking medication as prescribed, it helps manage diabetes.
These wholesome snacks are low enough in carbs to fit almost any meal plan. Even better, children love them!
Less than 5 grams of carbs
• ¼ cup fresh blueberries
• 1 cup light popcorn
• 1 hard-boiled egg
• 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
• 3 celery sticks with 1 tablespoon peanut butter
• 5 baby carrots
• 15 almonds
10 to 20 grams of carbs
• ¼ cup dried fruit and nut mix
• ½ turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread (2oz. turkey on 1 slice of bread with mustard)
• 1 cup raw veggies with 1/3 cup hummus
• 1 small apple or orange
• 5 whole-grain crackers and 1 piece of string cheese
I hope this helps you guys with finding healthy snacks.
Next Discussion: JDRF »