I Don't Know What They Are Called???

By rbergman Latest Reply 2009-02-04 19:46:04 -0600
Started 2009-02-03 22:37:05 -0600

After our daughter took her bath tonight I noticed some "bumps" under one arm in the pit area, then I looked and she had the same thing under the other arm. They are not red bumps, and they are not moles and this is the first time I've ever seen them on her, about 4 under 1 arm and 3 under the other one.
These "bumps" (because I don't know what to call them) are the same color as her skin and look like a tiny worm, what I mean by that is they aren't flat against the surface of her skin they stick out, are very skinny and the longest one sticks out maybe a cm at the most. I asked her if they itched or hurt and she said sometimes her shirt rubs them, I asked her if she had any idea how long she had had them and she said she hadn't looked at them before so she doesn't know. She is 7 and very independent and while bathing only asks for help with her hair sometimes so I can't say for sure how long these have been there but I would say no more than a couple months but I'm not positive. If anyone has an idea of what they might be so that I can look it up I'd appreciate it. I did try to do a search and the only thing I could find was something called a "skin tag" but I'm not sure if thats correct.
She does see her Ped Endo on Friday so I will be sure to ask what they are but in the meantime all input is appreciated from anyone here that may know what I'm talking about.

Hugs & Luv,

8 replies

rbergman 2009-02-04 19:46:04 -0600 Report

Thanks all, its something else on my list of things to ask about at her appt. on Friday, i read about skin tags just wasn't sure if thats what they were since she is so young…guess we'll find out for sure Friday.

sparkysmom 2009-02-04 17:04:53 -0600 Report

Sounds like skin tags to me. I've had them in different spots all my life. I have them checked every once in a while or if they change just to be safe.

sexyswamprat 2009-02-04 15:55:46 -0600 Report

I believe they are skin tags. I get them myself. They com ein all shapes and sizes. You can have them removed if they become bothersome. Mine don't really bother me so I don't worry about it.

rbergman 2009-02-04 07:24:04 -0600 Report

Thanks Gabby, I thought that when I found skin tags on the internet that was the closest thing to what she has that I could find, just weird that she has so many so quickly but will find out more on Friday.

Ang…its a couple hours away where we have to take her, leaving at 6am for her 9am appt, hoping to get things done as quick as possible there she has to dance that night at the basketball game so it may be later at night before I will get a chance to get on here and let you know what all we found out with her.

Hugs & Luv,

Anonymous 2009-02-04 15:47:04 -0600 Report

I think you are talking about the same thing my 23 year old daughter has. Her doctor said to wear a cotton undershirt or tank top that is high enough to cover the underarms. Use only natural deordorants and use natural baby powder. since she has been doing this they have gone away. Hope it is the same thing.

GabbyPA 2009-02-04 06:44:46 -0600 Report

Welcome to the wonderful world of skin tags. They are generally not harmful, but I would have them checked out. I have some in my armpits, but they didn't develop unitl I was much older. I haven't heard of them in children, but I also don't have any of my own, so I don't know. I have mine checked periodically, and they are nothing according to the dermatoligist and my Primary care.

2009-02-04 05:37:42 -0600 Report

Robin, I wish I could help you. I don't have any children and I've never had anything like that. I am so glad she is going to the endo on Friday. I will keep you and her in my prayers my friend. I will email you to find out how she's doing on Friday! Hugs, Angie

Next Discussion: Common Causes of Seizures »