diabetes doctor or regular physician???

By 4mouseketeers Latest Reply 2014-06-18 12:21:21 -0500
Started 2014-06-16 17:46:26 -0500

I would just like to ask if others on this site see a diabetes specialist or go to their regular doctors?
I would appreciate any input.
Thank you.

18 replies

jaydoubleyou23 2014-06-17 13:19:39 -0500 Report

Endocrinologist are diabetes specialists. If anyone can help you its definitely them because they're actually educated enough to help you :)

jayabee52 2014-06-17 13:27:10 -0500 Report

actually not ALL Endos are diabetes specialists. There are other endos who pay more attention to other glands. Ask the endo in what gland they pay the closest attention. I had an endo who paid attention only to my Thyroid.

jigsaw 2014-06-18 12:00:29 -0500 Report

Jayabee, this is very true! Beware of the gay endo!!! He could totally forget about your pancreas, or thyroid and check for an inguinal hernia! If he keeps checking your prostate gland, then it's time to move on. Ladies, you're safe, nothing to worry about!

jigsaw 2014-06-17 09:39:54 -0500 Report

Generally speaking, and from my experience, I found that endocrinoligists that specialize in diabetes, were more adept at prescribing the best choice of medications for a given individual. To really get a good prospective on managing diabetes, a good registered dietician and diabetes educator can be very informative, and helpful also!

Once a person with diabetes is well informed, and has a thorough grasp on managing their diabetes, then a good PCP might be acceptable. It's always a good idea at this point to see an endo from time to time.

The majority of doctors, regardless of their specialties, are not trained in nutrition. Most will only be able to offer basic guidelines in diabetes mgmt. They diagnose, determine what stage your diabetes is at, how well you manage it, and then prescribe what they feel is the best diabetes medication. For this reason, it is usually a good idea to get educated with the correct experts in proper diet, and diabetes mgmt.

4mouseketeers 2014-06-17 10:56:35 -0500 Report

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have asked to be scheduled to see a dietician & my dr said he would fax something to them. So Medicare will help pay. Next time I see him I will ask what he thinks about my seeing an endo. I appreciate everyone help with this! Ann

funnygirl98 2014-06-17 09:17:12 -0500 Report

I personally see my surgeons PA, a nutritional diabetic educator and I also see an endocronologist to help me with controling my diabetes;-) Hope this is of some help to u;-)

Dark Sonja
Dark Sonja 2014-06-17 04:29:07 -0500 Report

My FNP who I see as a regular health care provider sent me to a diabetes specialist for just 2 appointments. "For information and a starting plan" she said. Then I went back to my regular FNP but she also sent me to a registered dietician, again just for 'starting information'. My insurance covered these as one time extras but would not have covered any more visits. I paid myself to see the nutrition specialist at the gym. I also had a long talk with the registered dietician that helped my Mom when she was in the nursing home. I think a regular 'doctor' type is good enough if he/she is knowledgeable and willing to work with you, but it sure helped to have the little extra input from those others.
I think it is more important to find a health care provider you can get along with than to worry about the initials behind their names.

4mouseketeers 2014-06-17 08:52:18 -0500 Report

Yes, I imagine if my ins will pay at all it will be like yours & only cover one or two. But even that would be quite helpful. I do like my dr. I think he tries to inform me; I just don't have the correct questions. I need to take a list with me next time I go. Did you say you live in Mo. also?

Dark Sonja
Dark Sonja 2014-06-17 10:28:48 -0500 Report

Yes, I do. Around the Hermann area. You know, Home of the Maifest where all the wineries, breweries and sausage makers are. lol
Seriously, a list of questions to ask is a great idea and tell the receptionist (or whoever) when you make the appointment so they can schedule you a little extra time.

4mouseketeers 2014-06-17 11:00:53 -0500 Report

I'm in KC. I have found a hosp where they give classes & education so hope I can get started there before long! Thank you & everyone here on DC for the help & suggestions! Ann

haoleboy 2014-06-16 22:37:04 -0500 Report

Knowing nothing about anything I'll go ahead and offer up my 2 cents … unless you have some serious issues with your diabetes might want to go with a Primary Care and a registered dietitian.
again just my 2 cents … maybe worth a penny when adjusted for inflation


4mouseketeers 2014-06-16 22:43:27 -0500 Report

Yes, I am pretty sure that is what I will do. The serious issues I have are with myself & staying on track with what I need to do! I will try to talk more to my dr next time I am in there. Have found a place where they have classes.
appreciate your input! Ann

neverlowbg 2014-06-16 21:12:36 -0500 Report

I use a endo that's backed by a full diabetic team a registered diatician diabetic classes counseling diabetic rn's dedicated lab wound care dr and nurses nephrologist eye dr urologist there all in one building and all work together great it took me awhile to find this group after trying many many others my hospital visits none of the other dr even visited or did follow ups these dr visited me off an on the whole time and had my follow ups scheduled before I was discharged of I leave a message they get back to me in a timely manner but like I said earlier took me about a year to find them don't just settle you pay for them use them yes they are an hour drive from me but I want the best care for me have fun on hunt and ask questions if they give half ass answers or act like no big deal or ignore you while your talking seem frustrated when you ask for details or explanation or just throw allot of drugs at you for no reason or rhyme time to fire them and move on till you find people you trust my primary dr is great but no specialty and he told me that when he diag my t2 he told me to find a specialist did what he could to help till I found one I'm rambling but I hate incompetent uncaring dr

4mouseketeers 2014-06-16 21:37:53 -0500 Report

Yes, I can see that it will be a search. I guess I will start out with asking my PCP for a recommendation & go from there. Thank you for your response. Ann

jayabee52 2014-06-16 19:47:34 -0500 Report

I go to an internist. So it is not a regular Dr but also not a diabetes specialist either.

4mouseketeers 2014-06-16 20:45:18 -0500 Report

Thank you for answering. I do appreciate it. I am trying to decide what to do. I am not very assured nor knowledgeable so input is totally helpful. You are always good to respond. Ann