What is he thinking?!

By Anonymous Latest Reply 2014-06-17 15:19:39 -0500
Started 2014-06-14 15:13:44 -0500

So earlier this week I went in to my endo and he told me that I needed to work on weight reduction. I'm type one keep in mind, and by no means overweight. I am a young teen, 5'4", and 102 lbs. if I lost weight in the range he has suggested ( 10-25lbs ), I will be dangerously underweight. My a1c is high, at a bad 12.9 ( I know, but I'm in that denial/ busy stage in the disease, please understand) and though I wonder if this is the cause he has asked me to lose the weight, it still seems a really drastic change to me! I've been thinking of changing to a different endo, but it's hard to find one here that accepts people under 18, and I would have to get to one a whole state over, so should I switch doctors? Please help!!!!

9 replies

Trudie Ann
Trudie Ann 2014-06-17 15:19:39 -0500 Report

My doctor and every one tells me I'm not over weight. I bounce back and forth between 126 and 131. I am 5'1 and never weighed over 100 lb. in my life until I broke my leg and couldn't be the active Tom Boy I was. I agree with what others asked, that maybe he was needing you to change your diet and he might not have explained it right.

4mouseketeers 2014-06-16 22:31:52 -0500 Report

My doctor also told me I should lose weight. I am not overweight so it probably has to do with my eating habits same as Type1Lou said in her post. Would be helpful if the drs. would explain more to us.

Just Joyce
Just Joyce 2014-06-16 09:41:32 -0500 Report

I agree with Type1Lou. Did the doctor tell you to change your diet because your numbers are rather high, I would have the doctor talk to your parents because you may not have fully understood what the doctor was saying. Ask your parents to go in with you when you talk to the doctor. Then ask the doctor to send you to a registered dietitian who can talk to you and your parents about a healthy meal plan for you. then with a healthy meal plan you can add exercise to help bring your A1C down.

RebDee 2014-06-15 12:35:55 -0500 Report

I think you should sit this doctor down and ask why he wants you to look like an anorexic. That is terrible to have to lose so much weight to treat one disease that you get another disease. What state in the USA is this besides being in the state of frustration?

Type1Lou 2014-06-15 09:05:47 -0500 Report

Are you sure the endo asked you to lose weight rather than asked you to change your diet? There's a big difference. Your BG's and A1c's are higher than desired because you are probably eating more carbs than you should and the sugar is spilling over into your blood. As I see it, you need to limit your carbohydrate intake in order to get better BG readings…and only you can decide to do that or not. The first step is to calculate how many carbs you are currently consuming and then, lower those carbs…not because you need to lose weight but because you need to lower those blood sugars. That means counting carbs and keeping track of the food you eat. It's your choice.

haoleboy 2014-06-14 17:06:33 -0500 Report

1) What do your parents think?
2) Based solely upon what you've shared, there is no way I would visit that doctor again


Trudie Ann
Trudie Ann 2014-06-14 15:52:22 -0500 Report

I have to go to the next state over because there isn't an endo. any closer. I have my first appt Monday (keep me in your prayers), but they have around 10 endo. specialist there so I hope I get on that works for me, If not I will try another one. Best Wishes Anonymous.

Next Discussion: MediGuard Recall »