eye care

Elizabeth Sprague
By Elizabeth Sprague Latest Reply 2009-02-01 15:20:51 -0600
Started 2008-05-28 08:37:10 -0500

how can i get the best eye care and the proper way to fix it. besides a spetiolist.

7 replies

LadyDi - 26259Miller
LadyDi - 26259Miller 2009-02-01 15:20:51 -0600 Report

It is imperative that diabetics have an annual eye exam. As stated above, it should be performed by an ophthalmologist, and he should be aware of your diabetes diagnosis and perfor the proper checks that are done in connection with diabetic eye health. My Internist checks with me every year at my physical to be sure that I have that done.

I just posted an article on "Eye Problems and Diabetes" that I found very good. You might want to check that out. But definitely do get that annual exam!

highlandcitygirl 2009-01-31 13:23:25 -0600 Report

has anybody else been having trouble with their eyes. the eye doctor says mine has a little problem, but nothing to worry about now! since it is blurry, watery and hurts sometimes, i am beginning to think ive got neuropathy in my eye!

Two painful feet
Two painful feet 2009-01-31 17:39:27 -0600 Report

Hi! In October 2008 I was diagnosed and now I have problems with blurry,watery eyes. Also can't seem to focuse when reading. So I will be getting an appointment with my optomaterest. He can tell me who to see. Thank You for bring this to my attention. Funny thing is my BS is pretty much under control.
Your Friend

tmana 2008-05-28 08:55:25 -0500 Report

As diabetics/PWDs, we really need to see an ophthalmologist (a medical doctor who specializes in eye health). While optometrists (most eyeglass-store-eye-exam doctors) can do a dilated eye exam, they don't have the expertise or the prescribing ability to follow up if there is any damage.

The other advantage to going to the specialist is that, because of your diabetes, you can usually get the referral so you're either completely covered, or paying only a co-pay, which is a lot less than a normal visit to *either* an ophthalmologist OR an optometrist.

morris.js 2008-05-28 13:45:24 -0500 Report

I Agree, The opthalmolgist is the way to go. Mine takes pictures of the inside of my eyes so she can compare them each time I visit to see if there is any damage begining. They can also prescribe medications if needed.

Next Discussion: free medicine »