I am freaking out a little

By truejohnny Latest Reply 2013-12-24 22:11:19 -0600
Started 2013-12-23 16:15:51 -0600

Okay, sorry about the title but really I am very uncomfortable. This issue is about my aunt, my late father's sister, whom I take care of 100% of the time.

She is almost 85. She has so called adult onset diabetes or type-2. She has been living with this condition for the last 20 years or may be a little less. In the last 7 years, she coverted from oral medication to Insulin injections. Since she has osteo arthritis, I am the person who give her injections and measure her blood glucose levels daily.

In the last few months, I noticed, when I was taking blood from her upper arm (freestyle micro sample measuring device), on some days, her blood drop, instead of being deep red, was coming out like water with red droplets in it. This was mainly when I take blood from her left arm. Now, regardless or which arm it is, the blood sample is always looking like water with specks of blood in it. And I don't know why. Has anyone have any idea what this might be ? Few years ago her doctor gave her iron supplements due to anemia, but she quit taking them after a while and her doctor concurred that she no longer had that condition. Would it have come back ?

Thanks for your answers

4 replies

Just Joyce
Just Joyce 2013-12-23 20:12:50 -0600 Report

The best thing for you to do is call her doctor and give him/her the discription. Only the doctor can diagnose this. He may even need to see her for other testing.

Glucerna 2013-12-24 19:26:01 -0600 Report

Absolutely contact your aunt's physician about your concerns. She's really lucky to have you! ~Lynn @Glucerna