Diabetic specialist

Sheri Lynn
By Sheri Lynn Latest Reply 2013-05-11 06:01:28 -0500
Started 2013-04-26 06:51:59 -0500

I was diagnosed 3 years ago as a type two. Since being diagnosed I have found out that both types run rampant on one side of my family. I have been treated by a family Doctor.

So many of you see a specialist? After the family Doctor recently tried to put me on cholesterol meds when my tests are in the good ranges "just because" the reports say to put diabetics on it, I think I may need to consult with a specialist. I refused the med.

5 replies

Fefe12 2013-05-11 06:01:28 -0500 Report

I have an endrocanologist(sp) and a diabetic nutritionist. My family doc sent me to them.

Armourer 2013-05-02 00:29:26 -0500 Report

There is nothing wrong with getting a second view-point. After several years where my doc didn't listen to me on some things I went to a specialist who took me off of the diabetic meds and put me on insulin. Surprisingly my doc had failed to notice that one of the diabetic meds was destroying my kidneys & liver. I immediately changed doc's, but continued to go to the specialist for several months till I could no longer afford him. My new doc did well about treating my diabetes and went with him for six years until a few months ago I changed doc's again. This doc is another internist and is fantastic! The specialist found a problem, but I don't feel that I need to see him again.

manapua72 2013-04-26 18:30:02 -0500 Report

So what was it that they found that you are now a type one instead of a 2 ??? I'm just curious … I suppose you know that a type 2's pancreas can eventually wear out and stop producing insulin . That would leave them insulin dependent like a type 1 but they would still be type 2 … My pancreas no longer produces insulin , I had the same test as you and results showed no production if insulin I am off all pills and just do insulin … Yet I'm a type 2 …

GitchyMe 2013-04-26 09:22:42 -0500 Report

Mr family/primary doc diagnosed me as type 2 last May. After a few months of pills…max doses of metformin and glipizide, and a cholesterol pill I still felt bad. I did my own research and asked for a referral to endocrinologist and a c-peptide test. Found out not t2 but t1. Only use a pump and insulin now.