By camerashy Latest Reply 2013-04-17 00:55:43 -0500
Started 2013-04-11 16:06:07 -0500

OK, everybody. Here I am about to turn 65, and I never thought I'd live to see the day. But now I have to find a supplemental insurance that will cost something I can afford (close to $0.00) and pay at least 90% of the cost of insulin. I'm on 2 different types of insulin, and my retirement payments will be like my pay - you know, "my take-home pay won't take me home".
So, how about some brainstorming out there? I've got a month before I have to start hunting.

10 replies

GabbyPA 2013-04-13 10:57:18 -0500 Report

My husband uses Freedom and there are a lot of good perks with it. I don't know what it does for insulin, as he's not a diabetic, but you may want to call them. But it only costs what Medicare would take out anyway, so there is not additional cost upfront for him. Our copays are small and some are free.

The one thing you have to be aware of is if your current doctor(s) will take the plan you are looking at. We made that mistake and had to change his pain management doctor because they don't take Freedom.

A lot of it will depend on what you want and need. Talk to your doctor and ask them what they might recommend. There are some companies that are difficult to deal with because of the many variables.

Once you find a couple that fit your needs, they should offer an in home consultation (which will be a sales pitch, so ask LOTS of questions) Then you can choose from there.

camerashy 2013-04-13 16:53:03 -0500 Report

I thought about calling a lot of them. The insurance I have at work is Humana, and I thought about calling them, too. I plan to retire on my 65th birthday. I was going to wait until I'm 66, as I'd get $300 a month more then, if we get anything at all by then. What do you think?

GabbyPA 2013-04-14 12:34:07 -0500 Report

Oh, that is a tricky question. $300 more a month can go a long way, but like you said, who knows if it will be alive in a year. Which way allows you to put more money aside in the next year? That is what I would do. Sock it away, as much as possible. It will give you another year to figure out what the Health Care Law is going to do to you or for you.

old biker
old biker 2013-04-11 16:47:41 -0500 Report

Hi camerashy This is what I did. When I turned 65 I was enrolled in medicare parts A and B then I shopped around and signed up with united health care for part D.. Part D covers Dr visits and prescription costs.. All this was costing me about 130.00 a month
Then I went back to the SS office and got a application for a government program called Extra Help. If SS is your only source of income there is a good chance you will qualify. You can check out the eligibility requirements on the social security home page .
One of the questions on the application was would I like for them to check if my home state would help with my premiums on part A & B I said yes
Extra help is only for part D. As a result of all this They got the state of Va medicaid to pay for my medicare part A&B extra help helps with part D
Extra help put a cap on what I pay for on prescriptions, the most I can be charge for any medicare prescription is $6.50. I pay $ 6.50 for my 90 day supply of insulin..The total cost of my medicare coverage is now 13,00 a month
I hope this helps and good luck

camerashy 2013-04-12 16:41:17 -0500 Report

Heck, yeah, it helps. What do I do now that I live in Mississippi and am going to retire to Arkansas? Do I have to deal with both states?

old biker
old biker 2013-04-12 19:05:28 -0500 Report

Good question..It shouldn't matter what state you live in to apply for the extra help program. That is government funded and covers part D only. That is the part where you save on your prescription costs and Dr visits.. Parts A&B covers hospital costs.. The extra help program got in touch on my behalf with the state of Virginia and got them to pay the cost of parts A&B.
So Right now the state pays for the cost of part A&B. And that is up to each state if they want to do this and the government pays for part D.
What I would do is go down to the Social Security office and talk to them about what you should do…It's a great program for us seniors that have limited income
It can become real confusing fast,When you turn 65 you get medicare parts A&B and the deduct the cost from your check. If you want part D you have shop around and sign up with a health care provider of your choice, They will notify SS for you and that also will be deducted from your monthly check
Once you are set up with Parts A-B-D then you can apply for extra help.
Good luck and keep smiling :-)

Next Discussion: Blood Glucose »