Lancet Devices

By adecoteau20 Latest Reply 2009-01-03 20:13:13 -0600
Started 2008-12-05 12:34:31 -0600

I know that the doctors make it sound very simple to monitor your glucose levels, but I find it very difficult to poke myself with the lancet device. I am newly diagnosed and monitoring my glucose level has become a challenge because it take such a long time to poke myself. I often avoid taking m sugar so that I dont have to go through the process.

Does anyone have recommendations on lancet devices that make the process less difficult?
I was thinking of one of those auto lancets advertised but im not sure how they work…

Thanks Afiya

Tags: devices

6 replies

SkipT 2009-01-03 20:13:13 -0600 Report

Are you using the tips of your fingers or the sides? If you use the sides of your finger tips it hurts a lot less. Also it gives you two sides per finger so there is more recovery time before each finger gets used again.

2009-01-03 20:04:35 -0600 Report

I use the Abbott (Freestyle Lite) lancets. I was horrified of needles and now I test 5 times per day. I promise you, I have little to no pain and you only need about a pin head of blood. It has a scale on the side from 1 to 5 so you can set how deep you go. 1 being the minimum, I use 2, it's enough blood, and it doesn't hurt. These are not expensive either which helps. You can do it! It's important! To your health, Angie (My fingers Never get sore either.) :)

mattkid 2008-12-05 19:21:45 -0600 Report

Accucheck soft clix is great. and reuse lancets. They don't go dull. you'll be okay. I've had diabetes for 18 years already.

2008-12-05 13:54:25 -0600 Report

Continue to practice with the lancet device, to practice, use the trigger without a lancet in it, so you get used to doing it without the needle, then put one in and it won't seem so foreign to you. I don't usually have pain with the lancets but I remember at first it was scary to do. Take your time today and practice, don't put it off until tomorrow. It's something that you'll get used to with time and it's very important for you to overcome your fears so you can take control of your sugars. Make sure as KD said to use the sides of your fingers as there are less nerves there. Hang in there, you'll get it and be fine..

kdroberts 2008-12-05 13:40:06 -0600 Report

Accu-Chek Multiclix. Easy to use and for me 90% of the time is pain free, the other 10% is very minimal pain. Also, never use the pad or the tip of your fingers, always use the sides. Look at a finger side on, dont go lower or higher than the nail and don't go too close to the nail. Look at your finger flat (palm side) and don't use the middle 50% of it.

Anngelia 2009-01-02 20:40:20 -0600 Report

I use the Multiclix also and think it is the best one I have ever used. I also agree with using the side of your finger. There are fewer nerve endings there.

Next Discussion: Surgery verdict »