By Mirena Latest Reply 2013-02-07 20:40:59 -0600
Started 2013-02-06 09:47:35 -0600

Is it better to see a doctor in endocrinology or continue to see a primary care physician as a diabetic?

7 replies

MAYS 2013-02-07 20:40:59 -0600 Report

Whichever doctor you decide to use, the testing that they require and the methods that they use to help you to manage your diabetes is very, very important, you may see many types of doctors during your life as a diabetic, many of them specialist.
Don't be afraid to ask questions concerning your diabetes care and treatment, never leave your doctors office without having your questions asked and your concerns addressed.



Gwen214 2013-02-07 20:13:00 -0600 Report

I started out seeing my primary doctor for my diabetes, my BS were not getting any better and she finally referred me to an endo, within 3 months my BS were the lowest I've ever seen and its a plus when they have in house educators/dietitians was very convenient.

PetiePal 2013-02-07 09:39:45 -0600 Report

Personally I prefer an Endocrinologist who specialize in Diabetes. I've only ever been to Endos and they've been excellent and are up to date on the latest devs. Diabetes is really an endocrine-based disease, sometimes diabetic doctors are too generalized in their treatments or approaches.

jayabee52 2013-02-06 17:38:14 -0600 Report

I have seen an endo a few years ago, but it was not for diabetes. I had thyroid nodules and they wanted to make sure they were non cancerous. I have always seen my PCP for my diabetes needs.

My late wife did have a endo who specialized in diabetes, but she was a type 1. She only started speaking to him during the last 2 yrs of her life when her pcp and others didn't have the knowledge to bring her BG levels down. (she WAS a complex case for anyone to control)

Mirena 2013-02-06 10:28:25 -0600 Report

Oh okay. I like my PCP. Just wanted to know of seeing an Endo would help as well.

Nick1962 2013-02-06 14:10:49 -0600 Report

You might be one of the lucky ones that never need to see one. An endo specializes in hormonal and glandular issues, so you might need to see one for one of those specific issues at some point in your life.

Nick1962 2013-02-06 10:27:21 -0600 Report

That would pretty much depend on you and your condition. I have never seen one, but then I’m an older male. You can’t give up seeing your primary care in place of an endo, but depending on your doctors, the endo might well “take over” your diabetes management if that’s where the problem lies.

Next Discussion: High Blood Sugar »