Leslie S
By Leslie S Latest Reply 2013-01-03 10:11:09 -0600
Started 2012-12-27 21:40:27 -0600

My doctor recently prescribed victoza, but I'm wondering how to dispose of needles. I've never considered disposing of my testing needles in a different way, but now I'm worried I've been doing it wrong. Any suggestions??? Thanks!

48 replies

jimLE 2013-01-03 08:56:23 -0600 Report

my has one of the bio hazard boxs.i saved a spice bottle that has a flip open lid to it.what she does.she fills up the spice bottle seeing how it's on hand and handy.then dumps them into the bio hazard gets a rumatoid i-v every 3 months for her thinking she can take her bio hazard box there seeing how they have a way of desposeing of them there.

CJ55 2013-01-03 09:42:25 -0600 Report

Also, The Walgreens here in NC will NOT accept the containers. My primary doctor wont nor will my cancer/blood doctor. I have lived in 2 states since I was diagnosed and I have not found anyone who will accept the full containers. If anyone knows where I can dispose the container please let me know. Thank you & have a great day!!

jayabee52 2013-01-03 10:11:09 -0600 Report

CJ, here is a multi state guide for disposal instructions ~ It is accurate through May 2012. In North Carolina – Buncombe county, (6th box from the top). Not satisfied by that answer I found this from NCDENR here ~

The first FAQ says this: "I use syringes in my home to inject insulin. How can I dispose of my used syringes?"

A: "The medical waste rules do not prohibit anyone from disposing of used syringes by putting them in the regular trash bin or dumpster provided that the sharps are kept in a thick, hard-walled plastic container with a cap or lid. Home, office or institutional generators should always contact their local solid waste authority (may be city or county) to make sure that there are no local ordinances against this practice."

So the answer seems to be call your local waste disposal authority and ask them.

CJ55 2013-01-03 09:38:47 -0600 Report

Turtle.. You mentioned if you have an Rx for a bio hazard container you dont have to pay for it. I am assuming you are referring to your insurance to pay for it?? Is this correct? I have Bc/Bs and they wont pay for mine. Actually my co pay is a much larger amount than the actual container which at Walgreens is under 5.00.

Turtle 2013-01-02 00:01:29 -0600 Report

ask your Dr. for an rx for one of those red plastic hazard disposible boxes. You put your needles, syringes, test strips in them. If you get an rx, you dont have to pay for it. When it is full, close it and turn it in to your pharmacy for safe disposal.

rlk-fd-ems 2012-12-31 08:11:41 -0600 Report

I bought a BD Safe-Clip at Wal-Mart for about five dollars. It is a needle clipping and storage device that holds 1,500 needles. Where I live, if you clip the needle off, then you can just throwaway the syringe with the trash.

Jan8 2012-12-31 07:07:06 -0600 Report

it depends on your city.I called my city hall and was told to put them in plastic bottles or containers then mark them sharps..I usually also yape them closed when they are fill.

Lizardfan 2013-01-01 12:43:31 -0600 Report

That is what we do here as well, simple, and easy. I use empty detergent bottles, nice and heavy and suits the purpose.

Jan8 2013-01-01 13:19:24 -0600 Report

Wow I just looked at my answer. Yape them closed when they are fill????? Well glad you got my point and i think a laundry detergent bottle might even be better !!

jayabee52 2013-01-01 15:50:54 -0600 Report

If you are using a computer you can go back into your posting and correct any mistakes.

There's a little "edit" link to the right of the reply link on every posting you make (except the original post) and when you click on the "edit" link the whole post goes blue (with white printing) left click in the box which has the posting you want to change (if you start typing before you do that the whole posting will disappear except the character you have typed) When the deep blue has changed to white background you find the mistake and change it.
Then when you've made the changes you wish, then click edit reply and you should be done.

If you are on a I phone or android phone I have no idea as to what to do there.

nanaellen 2012-12-29 09:51:01 -0600 Report

I use an empty coffee can and when it's full I tape the top with duct tape and throw in the trash! :)

draco59 2012-12-28 22:21:43 -0600 Report

Hi Leslie,
Well, I've used an empty pop bottle with cap. when it was filled, I'd glue the top on and duct tape it and go the the local hospital to get rid of it.
Most pharmacies sell little bio-hazard boxes. It will last awhile, since your only putting the Victoza needle, the needle used to test, and the test strip it self…
Hope it helps…
Have a great evening… :)

Jeremyz mom
Jeremyz mom 2012-12-30 15:02:50 -0600 Report

I bought a sharps disposal box at walmart. When it's full I duct tape it and throw it in a double grocery bag.

draco59 2012-12-30 16:53:54 -0600 Report

that works too, I used to do that when I was just test… but with 24 oz plastic pop bottle… now I have a wall size, hospital type, my wife gets them for me… I think they'll still be in there when our sun dies in billions of years… lol

jayabee52 2012-12-30 15:22:53 -0600 Report

with a sharps box like that, whenever I had one like that it had a tab on it which locked in place when full.

jayabee52 2012-12-30 15:28:06 -0600 Report

I just thought of something else, The red box is intended to signal "danger" perhaps putting them in something which hides the red might not be the best thing to do.

draco59 2012-12-30 17:25:54 -0600 Report

well it does jaybee, bio-hazard!!! but it's going in a landfill and buried. There are more people doing this then you realize. The way hospitals and other places get rid of there bio-hazard waste, is to sell it to companies who are supposed to burn it at very high temps. that basically melts it all together… Then after that it can be sold to scrap or melted down and seperated and reused.

draco59 2012-12-30 21:25:43 -0600 Report

What did you do????
I was a MLT for over 20 yrs, still keep my ASCP. My wife is a BSRN, one daughter is and RN, the other daughter and her daughter ( my granddaughter) start RN school this semester…

juliea1031 2012-12-28 11:54:17 -0600 Report

Give your local health department. I've been getting those red boxes, at no charge. You return the full box, they'll give you a fresh one. I travel quite a bit with my husband & some rest areas have those boxes like the doctors use. But they are few & far apart. You don't need a script, just go pick one up.

Harlen 2012-12-28 10:58:01 -0600 Report

I use a detergent bottle -brake off the needles put it in the jug and toss the rest
Cheep and works great
Best wishes

CJ55 2012-12-28 11:45:21 -0600 Report

I use a sharps container. My problem is where to take them when full. The doctors and hospitals say they will take them but they don't. If my sharps container is full, I use water bottles and put my syringes in those with the needle cut off. I have only been able to buy the small sharps container and after 2-3 dz needles it is full. I haven't found the larger ones as yet.

gbc43 2012-12-28 12:45:45 -0600 Report

I get the gal bottles from the frunt punch , get a months worth at 2 a day .

Nana_anna 2012-12-28 13:16:59 -0600 Report

I use a large pickle container. I am looking for a sharps container though. When they are full you can take them to the hospital pharmacy, and they can dispose them there.

ConnieMarie 2012-12-28 14:47:58 -0600 Report

When I did injections I went to a small drug store - they had "sharps" containers for $2, then took them to my doctor for disposal…

jayabee52 2012-12-28 19:04:08 -0600 Report

and at least in California they had differing regulations which would vary by county and sometimes by city. It made it difficult complying with everyhing.

gbc43 2012-12-29 05:58:22 -0600 Report

This is true, every place can be different and you need to find out how its done in your area .

PaigeRCD 2012-12-28 10:34:58 -0600 Report

My doctor actually recommended saving an empty laundry detergent bottle and using that as a sharps box. It's easier than having to buy/find one, and safer than throwing it in the trash (which is actually what I do too, whoops!) since it's in a bottle that isn't see-through. You could either then throw away the bottle, or bring it with you to the doctors office whenever you have an appt and they can dispose if it for you

red flower lady
red flower lady 2012-12-28 02:19:46 -0600 Report

You can get a sharps container from the pharmacy, may need a prescription. You can also use an empty milk container and most areas have a place to dispose of biohazard materials. Hospitals and drs offices may let you dispose of them there. Either way, call and find out what type of container is accepted and they should be able to direct you from there.

Just Joyce
Just Joyce 2012-12-28 10:54:51 -0600 Report

Red you don't need a prescription to buy a sharps container. I have seen them on line. I was in a store and saw them. It was either Wal-Mart, Walgreens or can't remember which one. It was about $9.00. I use an empty coffee can. I cut a hole in the top a little larger than the lancet and taped the piece I cut out to the inside of the lid. When the can is full, I simply stick the cut out back in place with Duct Tape and toss it in the trash. I put the test strip and the lancet in the can. I also rinse off the lancet. I decorate the can with pretty wrapping paper so it doesn't look out of place in the bed room or bathroom.

red flower lady
red flower lady 2012-12-30 18:03:34 -0600 Report

Hey, thanks for the reply. I know that you can get them without a prescription, but some places do require them. I happen to get mine free with a prescription:) I wouldn't put them in the trash though as even with washing the lancet, there is still residue on them (you can put the plastic piece back on the tip as I do), and the strip has the blood so all should be taken to the propper places who dispose of the bio hazard waste such as; hospitals, bio hazard drop off site, labs. I also add syringes to mine and would never want any issues with my stuff, even though I know I don't have anything another would need to worry about, not saying you do either, but can you imagine if our holder fell out of the trash and spilled on the ground:(

I like the idea of decorating the container, maybe if you knit or croche you could make a round cover that slips on and off easily, just thought of that, now I have had two whole thoughts for the year. Haha

jayabee52 2012-12-27 22:29:54 -0600 Report


You can ask the Dr to put your needles (sharps) in a sharps container in the office. I did it that way for a number of years.

If your facility does not let you do it, then go to Google and query "sharps disposal in (city or county & state)" Follow the directions there. It used to be that one could put them in a 1 lb coffee can and then when the can was full, fill it with plaster of paris and drop them into the trash pick up bin. But in CA where I lived for a while, that was eventually not good enough and we had to go to hard plastic red sharps containers.

check out this discussion on the subject here ~


jayabee52 2012-12-27 22:36:34 -0600 Report

each state has its own rules and regulations regarding the disposal of sharps so what is acceptable in WI may not be acceptable everywhere.

Leslie check the regulations for your state / town / county by Googling the subject like I suggested above.

IronOre 2012-12-27 22:15:38 -0600 Report

Well . . . if you want to do it the right way the go to your pharmacy and purchase a container to put them in, and turn that container back into the pharmacy when it is full.
If you want to do it like many (like myself) do then break the needle off the syringe and put it in the trash. Most trash places have an electromagnet that pulls the magnetic material out of the trash (including those needles) so it gets melted and recycled.
I was told if the needles do not have blood on them then what I mentioned second is OK.

Next Discussion: Lets look at the other »