PLEASE...Can anyone point me in the right direction?????

By kaiya2465 Latest Reply 2012-12-28 14:48:09 -0600
Started 2012-12-22 13:47:49 -0600

Hey DC Friends,

I am in a pickle…my dr quit to move to another state I have been trying to find a new dr but none at this time are accepting new patients. I am not the only one struggling to find one, but what do we do in the mean time to get the continued medical help, any suggestions would be Greatly Appreciated…

Thanks in advance

28 replies

red flower lady
red flower lady 2012-12-27 23:17:01 -0600 Report

Your dr should have referred you to another dr. Who did he leave your records with? If you have insurance, call and get dr numbers, or call the hospital and ask them as most have clinics. If no luck, then get on the computer and start calling all the drs around you. ( general, family, endocrinologis)

You can call your health dept and explain your diabetic and your situation, they can usually get you into a drs office.

jigsaw 2012-12-26 12:32:09 -0600 Report

I can't offer you any info that hasn't already been stated. Just thought I'd stop buy and say Hi ! Hope you had a great Christmas !!!

Nana_anna 2012-12-25 23:10:02 -0600 Report

I agree, local health department. If you need to see a Dr. in an emergency you can always to go the Emergency Room. They can reccomend Drs. to. The hospital can to. Or have one of the Dr. that are not accepting new patiences have them put you on a waiting list. Tell them you need to be seen.

GabbyPA 2012-12-24 18:42:27 -0600 Report

I would start with the health department or call the local hospital to see if there are any suggestions they may have. That is how I found the clinic I go to now. You may have to venture out of your town to one near by.

emboss03 2012-12-23 07:39:17 -0600 Report

Where in SD? I live in Sioux Falls and can help do some research for you!!!

kaiya2465 2012-12-23 07:56:47 -0600 Report

Spearfish is where my old primary was. But am willing to drive as far as Sturgis. Makes no sense that a dr can choose the patient anymore. Appreciate any help, Thank you.

granniesophie 2012-12-24 09:33:19 -0600 Report

Can you go to Rapid City, or is that too far a drive?

kaiya2465 2012-12-24 10:35:16 -0600 Report

To far for me to drive alone anymore. I have two dr's names I am going to try when the clinics open back up that are in Stugis. I am praying that 1 of them accept me as a new patient. Right now since I have no dr they cancelled the stress test.

gbc43 2012-12-23 05:04:45 -0600 Report

Go to your health care provider and ask the for a list of Drs in your area . They will give you a list telling you what they do and where they are at.Sometimes they ewill tell you which hosiptal there with .

Nick1962 2012-12-22 19:34:06 -0600 Report

WebMD has a searchable directory
In the meantime, go to your local clinic. If you need "real" attention, often they will "assign" you to a local doctor. They may not be accepting patients, but if you have real health issues, one will take you on if referred (or in this case forced) through a clinic or hospital. If it's not urgent, do your homework on who's available and ask to be put on a list of those you think you'd prefer.

kaiya2465 2012-12-22 22:18:32 -0600 Report

Hi Nick, I have had 2 mini strokes this month sadly. I don't want to go to the er just to have a follow up.

Nick1962 2012-12-23 18:43:18 -0600 Report

I know it's not the best solution, but something seems kind of fishy with your doctor just up and going. Never heard of a PCP just giving up without transfering his patients, just seems to be against some ethical thing they take. Is he with a medical group you could raise a stink with?

kaiya2465 2012-12-24 10:39:10 -0600 Report

I agree with you Nick, something seems real fishy & unethical. Since Regional Health took over the hospitals & clinics a while back things have been going down hill. Things have gotten more confusing with new rules & regs..

jayabee52 2012-12-24 18:49:02 -0600 Report

Is "regional" health somehow connected with the new health care insurance exchanges mandated by the ACA?

kaiya2465 2012-12-24 21:19:26 -0600 Report

James, Regional Health owns the west side of SD's hospitals & clinics, Avera Health owns the east side of that. That is all I know when it comes to those two (shut my mouth) corps..

jayabee52 2012-12-22 15:29:21 -0600 Report

Unfortunately the way most med insurances go, the primary care Dr (or PCP) is the gatekeeper Dr. All requests for medical care go through that one person and often that PCP refers you to another Dr (like endo or renal specialist)

Was your Dr's departure sudden? because USUALLY a Dr who is leaving a practice will give you to another PCP.

kaiya2465 2012-12-22 15:39:37 -0600 Report

Yes it was sudden & I asked for a referral to another dr, but the drs here choose their patients, not the other way around. So far there are 6 of us that have been denied.

jayabee52 2012-12-22 15:45:58 -0600 Report

where is "here"?

kaiya2465 2012-12-22 16:02:51 -0600 Report

S Dakota & sadly moving is not financially possible or I would have moved long ago…lol Sorry am trying to keep sane.

jayabee52 2012-12-22 16:25:59 -0600 Report

Yes I remember driving through So Dak. about 30l yrs ago on my way to Minot No Dak to visit my bro. who was in the AF. Not much there as I recall. And I'd imagine at this time of year cabin fever is rampant! Sorry I cannot be of more help.

kaiya2465 2012-12-22 16:43:51 -0600 Report

Oh but you are of help atm, just knowing my post is being read & people are trying to help is helping me keep my wits about me.

doggier 2012-12-22 15:13:48 -0600 Report

Is this yr endo doctor or yr primary care doctor? Can you see yr primary care doctor untill u find another endo?

kaiya2465 2012-12-22 15:39:58 -0600 Report

This was my primary

2012-12-22 20:19:44 -0600 Report

hi. I would suggest contacting your insurance carrier.
maybe also health dept to see if they have info. maybe contacting
a regional medical center…lastly the state medical society or
medical school. good luck !

2012-12-22 20:24:33 -0600 Report

also look at the cde website and find
an area on and ask them if they can help
(that's the long way around the problem)