Common Sugar Substitute Xylitol Can Be Deadly for Pets!

MAYS
By MAYS Latest Reply 2012-08-15 15:56:15 -0500
Started 2012-08-14 23:16:48 -0500

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol — an artificial sweetener created from birch, raspberries, plums and corn.

This sweetener is found in many human "sugar free" products, such as gum, candies and other sweets. In humans, high doses may have a mild laxative effect, but in dogs, ingestion could be fatal.

It has been known for quite some time that there is a link between xylitol ingestion and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) in dogs. Now, with the prevalence of this sweeter in human foods, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center has noted a connection between xylitol consumption and acute toxicity in dogs.

http://www.diabeticconnect.com/news-articles/...

Xylitol has also been suspected of causing toxicity in ferrets.

~Mays~


1 reply

Carol1950
Carol1950 2012-08-15 15:56:15 -0500 Report

Xylitol, and many other common drugs, are very toxic to your pets. My #1 is Tylenol (acetaminophen) followed by #2 Aspirin.
#1 Tylenol -VERY TOXIC TO ALL PETS Simply put, this pain reliever becomes bound to a spot on the red blood cells that carry oxygen. It prevents oxygen attaching to the cells, and the animal dies for lack of oxygen circulation.
#2 Aspirin - Dogs and cats are not humans. Dogs are not big cats either - They have VERY different metabolisms from each other, and us. If you animal is experiencing pain, due an injury or age, please call a veterinarian. It may take a dog 16-24 hours to metabolism one 81mg baby aspirin. Cats can take up to several days ! If you give a human dose it will poison them. Check with poison control any time you think your animal has eaten something.