family members

brandy wyatt
By brandy wyatt Latest Reply 2012-07-17 21:07:13 -0500
Started 2012-07-14 20:04:44 -0500

my uncle was told by a social security disability preliminary doctor that he shows serious signs of having diabetes. he has not really taken care of himself and has hardly ever gone to the doctor as long as i can remember. i would like to know more about this disease and the things i can do, as well as the rest of my family to help him with this if it turns out that he in fact has diabetes

7 replies

Just Joyce
Just Joyce 2012-07-16 11:09:43 -0500 Report

The best thing to do is get him have him go to a doctor for primary care. He will have to listen to the doctor. If he is diabetic he should also see an endocrinologist as well as a nutritionist.

The best thing the family can do is be supportive. Being supportive doesn't mean you tell him what he can or cannot eat every time he sits down to eat or if you see him eating something. This will only cause him to get to the point where he will totally ignore you. Its like constantly telling an obese person to go on a diet. Nagging is not the way to go. What you do if he lives with you, is to have healthy snacks in the house and prepare healthy meals everyone can eat. If he lives alone and does not require outside help there isn't too much you can do because to make sure he is eating healthy you would have to be in the same house with him.

Kirla 2012-07-15 11:20:59 -0500 Report

If he doesn’t want to go to the doctors office you can always buy a meter in walmart. They sell a cheap one for about $10.00. A bottle of strips cost about $20.00 for fifty strips. If I knew I could just go buy a meter I probley would of known I was diabetic maybe 5 years earlier and wouldn’t have some of the complications I now suffer. Life is what it is.

If he tests his blood sugar first thing in the morning or if he hasn’t eaten anything in a few hours it should read somewhere between 70 and 90. If over 125 or so he probley has a problem. Also if he checks his blood sugar 1 hour after eating a meal and it goes over 200. He probley has a problem. He should be going to the doctor at this point. If not he still can try and control his blood sugar by following a low carb type of diet. If he tests his blood sugar and it goes above 300-400 he should see a doctor as soon as possible. He may need drugs, insulin or some other medical help right away. He should go to urgent care or the emergency room.

Walmart also sells an A1C test, which lets you know how well his blood sugar was over a 3 month period. It should be between 4 and 5.5. If it reads above 5.5 he may have a problem. Anything over 7 he should be going to the doctors.

This is what helped me. If you or other family members can get him to eat better it may help a lot. Anyway what works for one person doesn’t always help another person. I just believe cutting back or eliminating high carb starchy foods, drinking plenty of water and eating lots of low carb vegetables will help most people. Also testing before and after eating helps a lot in determining exactly what foods spike or don’t spike his blood sugar.

Feb 2009 I was diagnosed with a fasting blood sugar of 366 and A1C of 14.1. Started to eat a salad every day at supper. Also started to eat lots of low carb vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, cucumbers, spinach, pickles and sauerkraut. Started to drink 8+ glasses of water every day.

I then bought a meter and started to test my blood sugar before and after each meal. At first I was testing 2 hours after each meal and when my numbers dropped a lot I started testing 1 hour after meals. I test 5-7 times a day. I cut back or eliminated foods that spiked my blood sugar more than 50 points after eating.

By testing I found that foods like bread and most foods made of grains along with pasta, rice, corn, potatoes, oatmeal, cereals, chips, crackers, cakes, cookies, candy, soda, fruits, fruit juices, milk and most foods that contain more than 5-6 net carbs per serving as found on the package label all spiked my blood sugar. Some people can cut back on these foods and some people like me have to stop eating them.

After about 6-8 weeks my blood sugar readings were almost normal levels.

I found by reducing and eliminating high carb starchy foods helped me a lot. By adding small amounts of chicken, beef, pork or a hard boiled egg to my meals helped reduce blood sugar spikes also.

Good luck

old biker
old biker 2012-07-15 09:51:52 -0500 Report

Welcome to Diabetic Connect. There is a wealth of information here on this site. So when you have any questions feel free to ask. Right now the best thing you and your family can do for your uncle is to encourage him to listen to the advice of his doctor..Ultimately how successful he will be with dealing with this will rest upon his own shoulders. It always helps to have the support of family and friends

brandy wyatt
brandy wyatt 2012-07-17 21:07:13 -0500 Report

i want to do all i can, as well as his brother, and his nephew. my uncle is a very stubborn man. he is very pale, has been losing a lot of weight and to me looks like skin and bones. i brought up this site to him for information. and he immediately got defensive, saying that the doctor didn't know his a** from a hole in the ground, all he was looking to do was to make money pumping people full of b.s. ideas. he is very against doctors or anything they have to say

KathyH123 2012-07-14 23:04:55 -0500 Report

Their is some great advice and a lot you can learn about diabetes here on diabetic connect, and I hope you learn what you would like to know about diabetes.

Next Discussion: Did I Miss This? »