Injured toe.

By runthe Latest Reply 2012-07-08 15:10:04 -0500
Started 2012-07-05 21:37:42 -0500

Hi all, Hope that everyone is staying cool in this extreme heat that is across the country. Last week I trip over my puppy and manage to get my toe caught under the couch which caused me to flip over onto the couch. I did not seek medical attention because I often stub my toes. However, within the hour my toe swelled up and it was very painful. a week later my toe is still slightly swolled and painful and it hurts me to put pressure on it. i was wondering if maybe I should soak my foot in hot water or should I wear a bandage on my toe. I lost my state medicaid because of budget cuts and cant afford to go to er. any suggestions will be appreciated.

12 replies

Jan8 2012-07-08 08:00:29 -0500 Report

i know you would hate losing a toe. i am sorry abut your loss of medicaid.If the skin is not broken you need to use paper tape and tape the toe to the next one to it. That's all we do in the ER anyway for a broken toe. You can also(if you can't afford paper tape),use a bandaid to tape the 2 toes together. Use ice on for 15 minutes at a time to reduce swelling. If you do not see an improvement in 1 week go to an er or a clinic. You can pay a little bit at a time. Wow you really did some acrobatics there runthe!!

runthe 2012-07-08 15:10:04 -0500 Report

Thank you, I have been so clumsy this past week. I am constantly bumping my foot into something.

MAYS 2012-07-06 23:37:38 -0500 Report

That's tricky…
My advice would be for you to go to the E.R., but considering what you have said makes this a difficult matter.
We all know that diabetes and injuries do not get along with one another and foot injuries can prove to be very, very bad for diabetics, I should know, neglecting my injured toe resulted in me having to have bone fusion surgery on it (arthrodesis) from which I developed blood clots in my leg!

I am not trying to frighten you, I just don't want you to make a mistake as I did by not seeking medical help, before something minor becomes something major.
In NJ, many hospitals here have what is known as "Charity Care" if your state has it, it may go by another nane.

You go to the E.R. to be seen, you are treated and once you receive a bill you bring it back to the hospital's billing department and apply for charity care because you cannot afford to pay he bill.
Once you are accepted, you are given free medical care (and visits) at both the hospital, and any clinics, for any ailments or surgeries for exactly one year!

Don't take the home remedy route unless you are positively sure that everything is alright, other than that, "Please" go get your toe examined, A.S.A.P.


runthe 2012-07-06 23:47:13 -0500 Report

Thanks Mays I will be sure to go get it look at A.S.A.P. my toe is not getting any better at all. I hurt it last monday and it stills feels like I hurt it today. It is still very painful and at times it throbs like a toothache.

Harlen 2012-07-06 19:01:49 -0500 Report

From one that brakes them all the time lol
You busted your toe cool water helps other then that not much you can do
Heat will make it swell
If it hurts for more then 10 days or swells up and turns color go to the Doc
If it is bent difrent then befor go to the doc
Hope this helps

red flower lady
red flower lady 2012-07-06 23:06:38 -0500 Report

So right about using a heating pad as it hurts my ankle, but the foot soaks in epsom salt and warm water make it feel really good. Like I said below, I'm currently dealing with this and can't wait until healed:)

IronOre 2012-07-06 01:01:39 -0500 Report

When my kids hurt their toes I tell them to call toe truck.
You may want to check on-line (or ask Mays to do it for you) on this subject. I am certain you'd find something on this subject.
There are many hospitals that have free "Help-Lines" phone numbers, so you may want to look one up ion your area.
What do you mean you lost your MediCaid because of cuts ??? What cuts ???

runthe 2012-07-06 19:29:24 -0500 Report

Illinois budget cuts. I will no longer be eligible for state aid. I have to find other ways to pay for dr visits medicine emergency care and other things that I need. I am unemployed and I am not old enough for medicare so I dont have the funds or resources to get the help that I need.

red flower lady
red flower lady 2012-07-06 00:16:11 -0500 Report

Yes. I just broke a couple of toes and hairline fracture of the ankle and they have me take off the brace and soak foot in epsom salt as well as ice it for 15 min, wait 10 min and then ice again for 15 min, also keep it raised. I can't put weight on it yet will find out when I can next week with new xrays. once healed I go to phys therapy to regain strengh so I don't damage it again as it will be weak. I accidently kicked a box of books in my hallway.

I know how painful it is and the bruising is horrible. Try the above and see how it works, also dr said to take Ibuprofen if needed. I have some 800 mg for other reason and have taken them, but you can just get some from the store:)

Next Discussion: Help »