Who to see for foor care?

By SteveMellen10 Latest Reply 2012-08-12 10:16:20 -0500
Started 2012-05-14 08:16:24 -0500

All the podiatrists in this area have stopped accepting MediCare/MedicAid because they pay so little. I cannot afford the $60 out of pocket for regular visits and maintenance. I am unable to trim my own nails anymore and really need help with this. Are their other foot specialists that I could use for foot care/maintenance (pedicurists, nurses, etc.)? Is there a special certification required for foot care specialists?


9 replies

red flower lady
red flower lady 2012-05-16 00:52:40 -0500 Report

Your regular dr can do this, especially if it is an endocrinlogist who specializes in diabetes management, or he can refer you. Have you called the Medicare/Medicaide number to get the number of drs who do accept it? Also, call your hospital as they accept it and ask if they have any diabetes programs or a clinic, they should be able to refer you.

SteveMellen10 2012-08-12 10:16:20 -0500 Report

Thanks! My regular Dr is who started this search doesn't do nails, and his referral yielded podiatrists who no longer take BadgerCare.

I found 1 podiatrist about 50 miles away who does not do Medicare foot care - but will do surgical procedures - So I have scheduled toenail removal for later this month,

forsakes alive
forsakes alive 2012-05-15 10:39:11 -0500 Report

I'd be 1 who would go to see a friend to clip my nails if I couldn't do it myself. I go to a free med clinic that has the necessary resources when a problem arrises concerning the diabetes. Then there are clinics that are based upon a sliding scale according to income.

SteveMellen10 2012-08-12 10:12:23 -0500 Report

Actually, my niece has trimmed my nails a couple of times this summer. She is a licensed Hair stylist/manicure/pedicurist and apparently they get some training for diabetic foot care. Plus she takes it easy on me $ wise!

MOMMY_OF_AN_ANGEL 2012-05-14 09:57:34 -0500 Report

have you tried lookin up free diabetic care in your area online? Or can you see if your family dr would do that for you? Also, when I go to my endocrinologist, they offer that there as well.

Next Discussion: alcohol »