By Audie95 Latest Reply 2012-05-01 03:18:12 -0500
Started 2012-04-27 11:32:15 -0500

I just got diagnosed and my mom won't let me have splenda products because they have chimicals. Are there any other good sweeteners that could be used in baking, coffee and the likes?????

11 replies

jayabee52 2012-04-27 21:36:23 -0500 Report

I can't use splenda products either due to if I get too much of it I get the runs just like I do with sugar alcohols.

If you are not vegan and opposed to consuming anything from an animal source you could try a product called "WheyLow" as it is a combination of fructose and Lactose, both natural sugars. I found it a while ago on DiabeticConnect when researching a suitable substitute for sugar for my late bride "Jem" It has a slower rise in Blood Glucose levels than regular sugar and it does not raise them as high (I have no connection to Wheylow whatsoever). You can read about wheylow here ~ http://www.wheylow.com/ on the landing page you will see some FAQs comparing WheyLow with splenda.

take a look and judge for yourself and have your mom look at it also. You might find it interesting.

Ladyanne1956 2012-04-28 12:41:57 -0500 Report

Try using Truvia, it is an all natural non caloric sweetener. I was advised by mt nutritionist to use it instead of equal,and all the other chemically made artificial sweeteners.

jayabee52 2012-04-28 13:25:10 -0500 Report

Actually I was trying to suggest an ALL natural alternative. Truvia is adulterated stevia — adulterated with a sugar alcohol (a chemical). That is fine for you if you want to go that route.

Besides I don't take sweeteners of any kind in as I don't drink tea or coffee. I just drink filtered water 99% of the time. The other 1% is drinking wine for a celebration like a wedding reception or so forth. Not a lot of need for sweeteners in my life.

Caroltoo 2012-04-30 16:42:24 -0500 Report

Try some organic coconut sugar. Avoids many of the chemical pollution issues with other sugars, seems to be less reactive with BGs, but you still need to limit the quantity you use cause it is sugar.

Type1Lou 2012-04-27 18:29:03 -0500 Report

Does your Mom subscribe to a wholly organic diet? Or is she just targeting Splenda? So much of our foods today are loaded with additives and are over-processed with chemicals. I choose to use Splenda because I feel it is less harmful to me than sugar, given my Type 1 diabetes. Truvia is an artificial sweetener made from Stevia but it, too, has been chemically altered. Suzy Cohen's book, "Diabetes Without Drugs" comments quite emphatically about the reasons to avoid most over-processed and chemically altered foods. It might be an interesting read for you. Just remember that this book is primarily geared to type 2 diabetics but the arguments for more natural foods in our diet is powerfully stated. Learn as much as you can about this disease so you'll know what is the right choice for you.

pixsidust 2012-04-27 12:52:06 -0500 Report

Splenda is not as bad as aspertame (blue packet) which has the bad rap.
Stevia is best but not many things made with it yet. Its sold under a few names.

Caroltoo 2012-04-27 11:53:37 -0500 Report

Stevia is an alternative many of us use. It is VERY sweet, so you use a lot less. If you use the same amount of stevia that you did of sugar, it would taste bitter not sweet, so do go easy with it.

techguy87114 2012-04-28 09:53:08 -0500 Report

I use Stevia as well and its worked great for me! I can get it at my local wallyword for a few bucks. The packets are individual and you can use as much or as little as you need to sweeten your food. I researched this same topic when I was diag'd and found Stevia to be little to no effect ( at least for me ) on my BG levels..

give it a shot!

Next Discussion: Diabetes/Cancer »