I need help

By rob38 Latest Reply 2012-04-22 01:45:07 -0500
Started 2012-04-19 22:21:15 -0500

I am 38 years old and i lost my job bc I could not pass the dot physical required to do the job I had for the past 6 years . I am type one diabetic and needed to start taking insulin. And because of this I did not pass the physical. I got unemployment and cobra for a while. Now I have Lowesy insurance. Where can I get assistance in paying for insulin?

6 replies

red flower lady
red flower lady 2012-04-20 20:12:27 -0500 Report

They can't fire you for that, but move you to another position. You can go through unemployment to fight it. Read the entire booklet they gave you on how to challenge it. If that is the only reason you were let go, then don't just sit there fight them, it works I know.

Call you local health dept and let them know you are diabetic and they will tell you where to go so that a sliding fee scale will be used based on your income. You can get you insulin for a few dollars. They will tell you at the drs what the pricing is before labs are done, etc. It is insane how inexpensive it is, like .50 cents or $1.00, etc. I wish it was that way for those of us with insurance! I have gone this route, so I speak from experience:) Just be sure to ask what days and time they deal with sliding fee scale paperwork and ask what documentation you need before going. When I did it, they only did the determination on Monday and Tuesday from 8-10am. The determination takes all of 10 minutes. Then you can be seen anytime.

I hope this info helps, let me know.

rob38 2012-04-21 11:57:17 -0500 Report

Yea that's what I thought too, but every position in the company required a dot physical, so I got let go. When you say "health department" are you referring to welfare medical assistance?

red flower lady
red flower lady 2012-04-22 01:45:07 -0500 Report

Maybe you need glasses, or are color blind? My oldest son went into Air Force and I had to take him to eye dr and get reimbursed. The dr knew what test to give as his brother in law was in and a pilot. This is what my son wanted to do as well, but he couldn't see the dots on the greys and lavender test and the dr said that would keep him from flying ( night colors). Now he weare glasses due to all the night vision goggles he had to wear in Iraq.

No your actual Health Department, it is different then welfare dept. You can actually get medical care there. Look up your counyt name with health dept after it on the internet and it should pop up. It may go by your city name depending on state you live in. If you need more help let me know:)

unknownd2 2012-04-20 12:16:59 -0500 Report

Check out www.Hope4RX.com you can get all of your supplies needed at huge discounts. There is also a free prescription discount card to save 85% on your prescriptions at any pharmacy. And there is also a link on the website for getting aid for prescriptions that are un-affordable. All of the info is on the website take 5 min to look through it, it could be the best thing ever for you.

ShellyLargent 2012-04-20 10:41:52 -0500 Report

What kind of insulin are you using? I was in a similar situation when I lost my job due to a heart attack about 4 years ago. I was getting free insulin samples from my doctor for a while, but they stopped giving them out. I ended up contacting my local diabetes education center and spoke with an educator. She told me about Walmart's insulins made by ReliOn. I use both NpH and R insulins. ReliOn is only carried at Walmart and is considered a generic drug so it's only $25 per bottle. Here's a link to ReliOn's insulin info: http://www.relion.com/diabetes/insulin Hope this helps!